Goodbye Nationwide

After 36 years with Nationwide left them today with switch of current account to Lloyds Bank. Have become disillusioned with Nationwide over the years but never heard from them at all during the switch process.

Comments

• Why have you become disillusioned with them?   
  • Why were you expecting to here from them?
  • After 36 years with Nationwide left them today with switch of current account to Lloyds Bank. Have become disillusioned with Nationwide over the years but never heard from them at all during the switch process.
    The most you'll get is a 'sorry you're leaving' e-mail or letter.
    I'd imagine in these days of regular switches a longstanding customer leaving is no biggie.

Just think of the £150/200 you will get and don't worry about it.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just 36? Try harder - 51 Years of NatWest Ends!!!

Are you sure Lloyds is better? Generally, it's not a good idea to lose a long-standing account. And it's a good idea to have accounts with more than one bank.
  • grumbler said:
    Just 36? Try harder - 51 Years of NatWest Ends!!!

Are you sure Lloyds is better? Generally, it's not a good idea to lose a long-standing account. And it's a good idea to have accounts with more than one bank.
    I don't remember saying I only had one current account. So far Lloyds has been more responsive than Nationwide.

As for what I was expecting- nothing. I think what I was saying was that there was no communication at all from them when the switch started.
  • My most recent switch was from first direct to Virgin Money. I was sent an email about a day after my switch trying to advertise me to stay and cancel the switch. Wasn’t much other than a “sorry to see you go” and advertising their 7% regular saver and £250 overdraft, nothing knew. Continued to switch anyway.
  • After 36 years with Nationwide left them today with switch of current account to Lloyds Bank. Have become disillusioned with Nationwide over the years but never heard from them at all during the switch process.
    Is it not worth keeping a current account with Nationwide to be able to have their market leading 8%  regular saver.
  • Firstly a disclaimer, I've only done 5 switches in 5 years so can't say I'm experienced in this.

However as I've got a fair few current accounts, of the 4 switches I've done in the last year (or had done for me in reality) I've always tried to 'lose' the account I needed least or got the least out of.

I wouldn't have thought that the OP could have been using the 8% RS or he/she may have thought twice.
    Is it not worth keeping a current account with Nationwide to be able to have their market leading 8%  regular saver.
    A max of £200 per month for a year?
    Hardly worth sticking around for. 

I've kept mine as it's my longest current account and holds my society membership. Otherwise, it would be gone. 
  • Stargunner
    Stargunner Posts: 638
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2023 at 7:06AM
    Firstly a disclaimer, I've only done 5 switches in 5 years so can't say I'm experienced in this.

However as I've got a fair few current accounts, of the 4 switches I've done in the last year (or had done for me in reality) I've always tried to 'lose' the account I needed least or got the least out of.

I wouldn't have thought that the OP could have been using the 8% RS or he/she may have thought twice.
    I am aware that the OP is not likely to have a RS with Nationwide. I was just making them aware that they could have opened a 2nd current acc with them, which would of entitled them to the 8% RS when they switched their main account away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback