Sewing machine not working

Options
PoGee
PoGee Posts: 562 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 17 November 2023 at 8:41PM in Crafting
The bobbin holder of my sewing machine isn't turning. It's as if it's locked in bobbin winder mode. I've oiled it, dismantled to check for thread and cleared of fluff but still not working. The other parts are working. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? 

Comments

• Teapot55
    Options
    Oh dear. Do sewing machines have a clutch? Because it’s like the clutch has gone 😮

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Reddleman79
    Options
    Having only a limited knowledge of sewing machines based on my 70 year old hand operated Singer, I would suggest looking underneath to check if any of the mechanism has come apart.
  • PoGee
    Options
    Thanks for replies. The semi circle (called 'hook'?) bit with oblong holes is meant to turn back and forth ( not complete 360), as I turn the hand wheel. I can turn it by hand and when I then turn the hand wheel, the hook moves slightly. I've had the machine since early 90s so hope I can get it fixed.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can't help, I'm afraid - but if it's gone tits up big time then you may find that it will be cheaper to buy a new machine than pay to have this one fixed.

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Somebody somewhere has probably done a YouTube video dealing with just this problem! You don't say what the make of machine is, but possibly googling on 'bobbin jamming on [make] sewing machine' might yield something useful.

Just googling on 'jammed bobbin' got me this, in case it helps: https://support.brother.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/137109/~/why-is-my-machine-jamming-in-the-bobbin-case-area%3F#:~:text=Make%20sure%20upper%20thread%20or,start%20to%20wind%20your%20bobbin.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • PoGee
    edited 30 December 2023 at 5:32PM
    Options
    Thanks Marcon. I just bought a wee cheap one priced at £34ish, 2 days ago. I'll use that one as a back up once I get the old one up and running. After reading through info on link - I've already tried each point of advice. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback