Instant Reloadable Voucher

Options
Altior
Altior Posts: 652 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
It's a little niche, does anyone know if top ups to these types of cards are treated as cash advances by CC provider?

They are similar to a gift card for supermarket shopping. A permanent one that I regularly top up as and when, so if I buy £100 it only costs me £95. I will use this anyway, but hoping to get double bubble with a slow stooze...

Comments

• martinbainbridge1975
    Options
    I have access to this type of facility and to date have not been charged any fees or interest 
  • Altior
    Options
    Thanks, I may give it a whirl on an account I'm shutting down anyway, just to dip a toe in!
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2023 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Same here. I have two of these (PerksatWork and RewardGateway) and have not been charged any cash advance fees on either. 

They both come up as MCC 7399 (Business Services, Not Elsewhere Classified) on my MasterCard, and are treated as a normal purchase.  

Most of my daily spending is through these discounted "Gift Cards"  :)
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Altior said:
    It's a little niche, does anyone know if top ups to these types of cards are treated as cash advances by CC provider?

They are similar to a gift card for supermarket shopping. A permanent one that I regularly top up as and when, so if I buy £100 it only costs me £95. I will use this anyway, but hoping to get double bubble with a slow stooze...
    It's the merchant not the product that the MCC is set at (though a merchant can have more than 1 MCC). It's set by the merchant's acquiring service provider, the merchant can try and influence the code set but it's not ultimately their decision. 

Card issuers then decide with MCCs fall within their definition of a cash like transaction. 
  • Altior
    Options
    I gave this a whirl with a small test amount and all good, no different to regular purchase. All groceries now going through IRV on a slow stooze. Cheers all!
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    It's a no-brainer really. You basically get from 3% to 8% off pretty-much all your shopping. It was better when the supermarkets used to allow you to pay for fuel with their gift cards, but they stopped that years ago sadly.

I'd recommend everyone should check whether their employer subscribes to one of these schemes for their employees. The savings really add up over time.

• Largs
    Largs Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Creation Everday Mastercard treated mines as cash.  John Lewis Mastercard didn't, nor did Sainsbury's Bank Mastercard. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback