Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Sum up app for charity payments

Options
Hello
I am looking for some advice please. 
I am a registered nurse, working full time and I run many fundraising initiatives amongst my colleagues. All the money made goes to a different charity every few months. 
A lot of people do not carry money to work any more, especially since the canteen only takes card payments. 

Has anyone applied for a sum up account to use the app on their iPhone?
I am a bit worried that it has tax implications. 
The other issue is I am not a “business”. I just want to be able to take £1 or £2 here and there (eg a bake sale ) and then give the money to charity. 

Is that possible? 

Thanks 😊 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its possible but as you yourself aren't a charity you would be on a standard tariff with Zettle or SumUp etc so a donation of £10 to you puts £9.50 ish in your bank which you then have to pay on to the charity and if you pay by card to them then they pay a further fee. 

Presumably from a gift aide perspective you put the total amount gifted as coming from you or do you split it by each party you are paid by?

Some may question why if they give you £10 is the charity only getting £9.50 or £9.45 (if you pay by card). You've not done anything illegal as its not you creaming off the fee but there could be cheaper methods of transfer so more goes to the charity
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback