CRA and Incorrect Data

My friend is trying to get a mortgage and has discovered a financial association with his mother that he has never had and a CCJ which was issued when he was 16.
It appears that these relate to his father who has the same name and same address until 15 months ago.
Surely it is the CRAs responsibility to make sure they apply to the correct person and not the person’s responsibility to prove it isn’t them?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,826
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Obviously the theory is that all data provided to CRAs is accurate and that their data matching and consolidation processes are faultless, but, equally obviously, mistakes will always happen when dealing with this sort of volume and quality of data, not helped of course when parents are unimaginative enough not to give their offspring a different name!

Like any other organisations processing personal data, the CRAs have obligations under data protection legislation to ensure that such data is accurate and up to date, so each will have processes to follow to allow such mistakes to be corrected, but inevitably there is some burden of proof on the applicant to evidence their identity - how far has your friend got through this process so far?
  • Currently awaiting a response from both the CRA and the Debt management company MEIII who appear to have taken out the CCJ. Unfortunately the courts don’t appear to bother attaching a DOB to CCJs
  • Equifax have now managed to put on his report that he has been on the electoral register since 6 years before he was born!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,329
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Complain to the ICO
  • My friend is trying to get a mortgage and has discovered a financial association with his mother that he has never had and a CCJ which was issued when he was 16.
    It appears that these relate to his father who has the same name and same address until 15 months ago.
    Surely it is the CRAs responsibility to make sure they apply to the correct person and not the person’s responsibility to prove it isn’t them?
    Surely it is your friends responsibility to thoroughly check his credit file reports with all three agencies well in advance of any mortgage application (or indeed any credit/bank account/utility application). That way errors like these can be spotted in good time and hopefully corrected, in good time.

He/She will need to raise a dispute for each piece of erroneous data with each lender and follow their process, which, unfortunately, can take several months to feed through.
    Save £12k in 2023 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £12,000 / £12,000
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,184.85 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £1,014 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • Some of these things are recently added and some in the background over both reports and not visible until applying for a mortgage! Can I suggest that negative comments about what should’ve been done are a waste of your time and mine?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,519
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    If your friends data is being confused with his fathers data, then they will have to go back to each company that is wrongly reporting it with a complaint to that effect, the CRA only display information that they are given, it needs correcting at source, otherwise the original creditor will just come back and say the data is correct, and you will have wasted time and effort for nothing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback