Variable direct debit doubled

Options
hgc75
hgc75 Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I pay my fuel bills by Variable Direct Debit monthly. Today I got an estimated bill for electricity that is more than double the usual amount for this time of year. I phoned the helpline for disabled people and the man said it is because they (British Gas) have gone over to a new system and he asked me to read my meter. I told him this is impossible as I am disabled and that they usually read the meter electronically. He then asked me to hold on which I did for 15 minutes which is my limit.

I realize that if I stop the Direct Debit payments BG may well put me on one of the meter things and then charge me more. So I have to pay up more than double the usual amount.

Is this not stealing or some sort of scam? Any ideas what I can do?

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    hgc75 said:
    I pay my fuel bills by Variable Direct Debit monthly. Today I got an estimated bill for electricity that is more than double the usual amount for this time of year. I phoned the helpline for disabled people and the man said it is because they (British Gas) have gone over to a new system and he asked me to read my meter. I told him this is impossible as I am disabled and that they usually read the meter electronically. He then asked me to hold on which I did for 15 minutes which is my limit.

I realize that if I stop the Direct Debit payments BG may well put me on one of the meter things and then charge me more. So I have to pay up more than double the usual amount.

Is this not stealing or some sort of scam? Any ideas what I can do?
    I would raise a complaint with British gas. Just because they are moving to a new system should not mean you pay for more than you use.

I would however get a neighbour/friend/family member to read your meter for you so you know your actual usage and what you should be paying this month. These readings should be supplied to BG. That is evidence you will want should BG not agree with your complaint and you want to progress with the ombudsman service after 8 weeks or if BG issue a deadlock letter.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you on the Priority Services Register?  If so then they should send someone to read it if they can't get a smart reading.
  • hgc75
    hgc75 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Yes I am on the Priority Register and I will ask for someone to come and read the meter and I will also raise a formal complaint as I am sure there are many people who may go into debt with their banks if this happens to them. It will be an opportunity for me to try and stop people being scammed as I am always grateful when people speak publicly about how they have been scammed and so help me avoid scams. I am sure this is just a way for BG to get money from my bank into theirs.

Thank you all.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would raise a complaint (as already suggested) but also state that you will withdraw the complaint if they recalculate using the same amount of energy you used this time last year.  I think most people and the ombudsperson would think this a fair and easy way to resolve the issue while BG get their finger out and sort their systems issues.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As you have a smart meter you could use an app to see your usage.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you’ve just migrated over to their new system they will have lost communication to your smart meters for a few days while the transfer takes place, hence the estimated bill. Get someone to read the meter for you & give them the reading for a corrected bill 
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you not get a meter reading through your in home display or phone app?

• Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    Can you not get a meter reading through your in home display or phone app?

Are there phone apps that show meter readings? I not done an exhaustive search, but I've only seen them retrieving usage data.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback