Given parents NIN to scammers? What now?

Options
Please help me I am so so upset.  I don't know how it has happened.  I see myself as an intelligent person but I have given both my parents NIN to someone called 'Kelsey' from 'tax refund team' ovr the phone, clicked on a text link and given their signatures too.

What the hell was I thinking and what can I do to stop anything from happening from this?  I am absolutely beside myself.

It all happened because my mum was getting a call and she hung up on it- asked her what it was- she said someone keeps ringing her about a marriage tax refund' but she can't deal with it and asked if I would.  She said she had applied for it previously and it was about that- so i stupidly thought mum had applied and then decided not to bother.  She is retired, i thought it was some kind of refund... i don't know what i thought to be honest.  Mum then got a text immediately, which she forwarded to me and I clicked the link, entered mum and dads NIN and they signed for both.  It had all legit addresses, numbers etc, checked companies house and it's a registered company with same address as on the texts.... 'Kelsey' rang my mum because I had inputted NIN wrong.  So I gave it her all.  Asked about if it was a scam etc- surely I should know that I am asking that I am doubtful.  She said she'd apply for it and we'd get a cheque in 6 weeks.  She knew their marriage date, names, address and post code..... I just did not think

What damage can be done and what can I do?  I don't think this is legitimate as wouldn't be eligible for it anyway as they both always worked full time.  I have just given a stranger both their NIN and a signature.  What can I do?  I am so foolish and depressed now.  Please help- don't want any money claiming back, just want to know how to stop any fraud with these details?

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    if they are genuine, and there is a refund, then they will be taking a hefty cut from that.

• upsydaisy09
    Options
    I am hoping so.  I am assuming it is a scam.  I would never ever normally click on anything or give personal details but it was just the perfect storm and I forgot myself.    The person had name, address and asked me to confirm post code- they said it out and I said yes (I remember thinking, don't give them it wait to see that they have that info and they did), date of marriage.   But like I say, it felt weird but I carried on talking.  Can they take their identities and steal all their money?  I  just don't know what to do.  Or could it be a firm (as its on companies house) genuinely making claims on behalf of people and if they are successful keeping the money- didn't want to claim anyway, not eligible, know we could do it ourselves, theyre retired....  I have been so stupid and I am so worried as to what NIN could be used to do
  • upsydaisy09
    Options
    Thanks.  I will speak to my mum now and try now to panic her but we will report it and ring the back / request the extra checks for if anyone applies.  Thanks  for your help.
  • upsydaisy09
    Options
    So the number is just ringing out, re-reading the text I can see the faults now.  So they have their NIN, address, post code, marriage date, names, (they already had all that apart from the NINs).  I have read online that they can make claims and keep the money- that's fine as long as that is all....
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,974 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The scammers might also claim Universal Credit (UC) by impersonating your parents, but they can only do this if one of your parents is not old enough to claim their state pension. They will also struggle to do this if your parents are already claiming UC. If they aren't already claiming UC, you might call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440 to see if they are interested in taking contact details fro your parents in case a UC claim is made. The DWP might initially ask your parents to repay any payments made to the scammers until they are convinced that your parents aren't involved. A timely report of the occurance now might help stop this in its tracks.    
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make sure those numbers are blocked. 

Tell your parents to stop answering the phone from non recognised numbers. They're very likely to end up on a list for more scam calls to come their way.

They may also become the victims of identity theft. So a protective cifas marker is suggested for some protection 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback