Online purchase and complete lack of customer care

helenajosephine
helenajosephine Posts: 21
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 16 November 2023 at 11:22AM in Consumer rights
I recently purchased from Sea Salt based on their 3 for 2 offer and a total cost of £19.95 incl £3.50 postage. I received a package of almost £300 of clothing and immediately informed the company of the error. Initially they asked me to take it back to a post office (I live 7 miles from the nearest town), and wanted me to print off a label to do so on the assumption I had a printer. They then offered that the package could be collected from my address for a small cost of 70p! 

At this point there was very little apology for the error. To send the parcel back, I had to put in my own order number on the returns form for Royal Mail. I checked that this wouldn't affect the replacement of my original order, and was assured that it wouldn't. 

On Tuesday morning I received an email from Customer Services to advise that my replacement order was on its way. On Wednesday, I received a package with just one pair of socks. When I enquired the whereabouts of the other two pairs I was advised that they were out of stock so the rest of the order had been cancelled, and I would receive a refund in a couple of days. I had soooo many questions: 

Why did the CS operative tell my my order was dispatched but not mention the supply issue? Why was I not informed that my order wouldn't be fully fulfilled and given options to cancel / amend my order? As it was their error and I had ordered 3 for 2, and only received one, how much was my refund going to be? Would I be refunded my postage? 

This morning I received an email telling me that my order had been refunded for £0.00. I contacted CS with a copy of the email and asked for an explanation, but they are now not responding to me and I don't really know what to do next. 

In the scheme of things £20 with Sea Salt is a drop in the ocean (haha) to them, but any advice on what next steps I can take would be hugely appreciated  

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,651
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well they owe you for one pair of socks. So should refund 50% of the cost, less any P/P.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 611
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So you tried to buy 3 pairs of socks for £19.95 on a 3 for 2 offer, but they've only supplied one pair and haven't refunded you?

I'd persevere with customer services first if I were you.  By email and 'phone.

Or can't you just cancel the order under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (legislation.gov.uk) and get a full refund?  When did you receive the single pair of socks?

Or if you paid by debit card ask your bank to do a chargeback
  • Okell
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well they owe you for one pair of socks. So should refund 50% of the cost, less any P/P.
    I suspect the OP thinks they're owed 2 pairs of socks...
  • Okell said:
    So you tried to buy 3 pairs of socks for £19.95 on a 3 for 2 offer, but they've only supplied one pair and haven't refunded you?

Or can't you just cancel the order under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (legislation.gov.uk) and get a full refund?  When did you receive the single pair of socks?

Thank you, that was the information I wasn't aware of (including the chargeback on my card), however they have some Tc&Cs about not being able to get a refund for a order once it has been sent. Saying that, I have now heard from the company (I set my better half on them) and they have confirmed that my whole payment will be refunded. It still leaves me without the gift I thought I had bought for a friend, but its probably the best I can hope for. I won't be buying from them again though, that's for sure. 
  • Okell said:
    I suspect the OP thinks they're owed 2 pairs of socks...
    To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect in my refund, which is why I raised the question. I just knew that it shouldn't be £0.00
  • Thanks for the responses. I have just heard from the company and they have confirmed (only after I had the better half call them) that I will receive a refund for the full amount and that the £0.00 refund notification was (supposedly) generated automatically. I at least was only in dispute with them over a few £... I hope the person who's £300 order came to me had fared better with them.  
  • Okell
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Okell said:

... however they have some Tc&Cs about not being able to get a refund for a order once it has been sent...
    Hmmm.  I think you might have misunderstood about that.  Can you remember where you read that in their T&Cs?

I had a quick look at their website before my initial response to you and I thought their T&Cs were generally OK - although they could have given a fuller explanation of the consumer's statutory right to cancel an order and not just say that their own returns policy "does not affect your statutory rights".
  • Okell said:
    Okell said:

... however they have some Tc&Cs about not being able to get a refund for a order once it has been sent...
    Hmmm.  I think you might have misunderstood about that.  Can you remember where you read that in their T&Cs?

I had a quick look at their website before my initial response to you and I thought their T&Cs were generally OK - although they could have given a fuller explanation of the consumer's statutory right to cancel an order and not just say that their own returns policy "does not affect your statutory rights".
    Hi, yes, thanks for the clarification. There is some wording in the automated response when you send an email to their CS that is about not being able to change your order once its been placed which isn't related to returning or getting a refund. Saying that, as far as Sea Salt systems were concerned I received my order on 11 Nov, and I physically had nothing to return to them (until the one item turned up on 15 November), so I was finding it all a bit stressful.   
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback