Curve now charging a fee for supermarket cashback on underlying credit card

Options
Fingerbobs
Fingerbobs Posts: 1,649 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Curve have apparently just taken a further step towards utter uselessness for me. 

Just been to Morrisons and got my usual £50 cashback at the till, only to find Curve have added £2 onto the amount charged to the underlying credit card. They seem to now be treating cashback obtained at a supermarket till the same as ATM cash withdrawals.

Comments

• MrFrugalFever
    Options
    Why would it not be the same as ATM withdrawals? The principle is the same.

I ditched Curve in 2020 after they continued to make negative changes to their product and strategy, it became a game of how much can they stealth charge you before you'd notice. I wonder if they are run by staunch conservatives.
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • Fingerbobs
    Options
    Why would it not be the same as ATM withdrawals? The principle is the same.
    I didn't say they shouldn't be. Just that it's changed. Yesterday: no fee. Today: £2 fee.
    End of an era for me - I've been doing this for years. One of the last remaining "useful" Curve features.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
     Very surprised this hasn’t been a thing already do supermarket cash back transactions not count as cash advances/atm pulls normally without curve? I’d assume they would 
  • jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surprised Curve offered this at all as I can think of no other credit card companies which wouldn't charge for cash withdrawals.
  • Fingerbobs
    edited 16 November 2023 at 10:39AM
    Options
    adamp87 said:
     Very surprised this hasn’t been a thing already do supermarket cash back transactions not count as cash advances/atm pulls normally without curve? I’d assume they would 
    I don't know of any retailers that will give cashback on a credit card, so I don't know. The whole transaction, including the cashback, just goes through as one, with whatever the shop's normal MCC is, so it's not really surprising that it worked, but I've known for a while that the card is aware that a portion of the transaction was cashback. (There is still at least one debit card provider that hasn't twigged this and still gives cashback on the whole transaction including the cash portion.) 
    I would have preferred Curve to decline the transaction, as they do with Curve Fronted, rather than just charge the fee, but I've done pretty well out of this feature over the years so can't really complain! 
  • swindiff
    Options
    jlfrs01 said:
    Surprised Curve offered this at all as I can think of no other credit card companies which wouldn't charge for cash withdrawals.
    Halifax Clarity don't charge for Credit card withdraws or money transfers into your bank account.  I have just transferred £30k (in stages) into my bank account, and then transferred that balance to some 0% balance transfer cards.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback