Address not registered for council tax

Options
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone has been on a similar situation to me and could offer any advice.

I moved into a privately  rented flat in Hendon (Barnet council) recently and the address doesn't seem to exist on the council's database for council tax or royal mail. It's a newly converted house so In assuming that is the reason, Im worried that if I call the council and the landlord hasn't had permission for the conversion that they may take action which (despite not my problem) will end up with me having to leave the address which would be a massive issue for me. I feel a bit stuck as I really can't afford to move again but I also don't want to leave the potential council tax bill to build up.

Does anyone know what the best action is for me to take and if the conversion wasnt lawful am I likely to get evicted when I contact the council?Any advice really appreciated. Thankyou

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask the landlord what's going on?

In the meantime put monies aside each month so you have the funds to pay arrears once/if its sorted.

Ages ago I had the same problem with water bill... water company said they had no knowledge of the address but this was a large block of purpose built flats. Landlord didn't know either even though he'd personally lived in the flat for 10 years. Eventually spoke to the Concierge for the building who advised there was one meter for the building and the landlord paid the water via the service charge. 

Got our tenancy agreement updated afterwards to confirm water was his liability not ours.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2023 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Even if the conversion didn't have planning permission or Building Regulations Approval, the council cannot evict you. They can either force the owner to covert it back to a single dwelling or seek backdated approvals or regularisation certificates. You should be able to check if PP was applied for on your council's website

One of the worries of conversions that are carried out without proper approval or permission is that the converter may have cut corners resulting in a property that may be unsafe. Note I say MAY, it could be OK, but without PP or BRA you do not know if it complies with current legislation re the many aspects of a building. For example rules about electric installations frequently change.

With regard to paying CT you will be liable from the start date of your tenancy or when you moved in, whichever is earlier, So would suggest you check on the amount for a Band A or Band B dwelling for Hendon, calculate the length of your occupation until 31 March 2024 and then the amount you would owe and start saving. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback