Sibstar pre-paid card for the elderley

Hi all
I have power of attorney for my Dad's financial affairs, and have been advised by his first direct bank to get him a pre-paid debit card for every day use so I can better protect him from fraud.
I'm thinking of getting him a card with this company - Sibstar.  I wondered if anyone had any experience with them? https://www.sibstar.co.uk/
many thanks
Liz

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,305
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    don't know sibstar or any other company with this type of product.  

Why can't dad simply have a regular debit card linked to an account with very limited funds?  Maybe something that you drip £5 a day into or similar?  So he can go get a paper and coffee but nothing more. 

We had MiL living with us her last few years and at one point just ensured she had a tenner in her little purse in case she and a carer went out that they could have coffee and cake.  Of course that worked because we lived in the same house so we could monitor things very easily.  Might not be so convenient for you.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • bunnygo
    bunnygo Posts: 114
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Starling do a similar card, with the big plus that it is free. Open a Starling account and set up for a 'connected' card. Max balance £200, can't be used online or to withdraw cash. Will need a PIN occasionally. As the account manager, the app shows you exactly where it has being used and how much is being spent.

I use it for a live-in carer to do the shopping, no faff with expenses and totally controllable.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback