What3words

Has anyone used what3words?  I have a problem in that my parcels are being regulary left at a neighbouring property that is a holiday home and I was wondering if what3words would be helpful.  Can it be added to Paypal address?  Many thanks for any help

Comments

• With a few of the couriers you can add your precise location using W3W or a pin drop using their app as the receiver of the parcel once you have the tracking number. It'd probably be easier/more reliable to do it that way than add it to your address and risk just confusing the sender/courier
  • Some couriers are now using what3words, DPD, Evri and I think Yodel. It;s about time RM started using it as the accuracy is much better than their silly photos of random doors and recycle boxes.
  • What3words is useful, but if the courier isn't competent enough to read a postal address I wouldn't hold out much hope of them being able to deliver to the correct address using what3words, try adding something in the address line of your order like "DON'T LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOURS", this works for me.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,445
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
     "DON'T LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOURS"
    That could really confuse a courier using W3W.

don't.leave.with would probably end up in a field just outside the M25 north of Sevenoaks (dent.leave.with)
    leave.with.neighbours will probably be followed as it is written
  • What3words is useful, but if the courier isn't competent enough to read a postal address I wouldn't hold out much hope of them being able to deliver to the correct address using what3words, try adding something in the address line of your order like "DON'T LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOURS", this works for me.
    Dont know where in the country you've lived but there are a ton of places where its really not that obvious...

1) Rural - ex-colleague's address is simply House Name, Village Name but its not one of those picture postcard villages but instead a knot of one track roads with 15 or so massive houses in big grounds. Put postcode into satnav and it drops a pin in the middle of a farmers field. Took one other colleague 90 minutes to find the house with written instructions

2) Ultra-urban - our front door says 5, behind the gate to our little front garden. Our neighbour across the road shows 25, the one to the right is 225 and the one to the left is 223a. We actually live in building number 494 but that's only written at the entrance to the carpark and then it's written as 4Nine4. 

Opposite is a development, don't know its name, mostly its flats who's address is Flat X, Development Name, The Street, London but a few maisonette's are just like 225 The Street, London and number 25 is an oddity, having its own door to the main road but its address is 25 Development Name, The Street. Don't know its name as I've never seen it written anywhere on the building so to know what "25" clearly out of sequence means is hard.

We get lots of people knocking on our door as they say a courier has said they've dropped it off to number 5... a Quick Look at the card and its no, its 5 Gwent Close, The Street which is a small corner shop 300m down the road but this is people living in the area not knowing what the different building names/numbers etc so what hope does a courier have?

We're lucky in that postcode is just our building but even still some tailgate into the carpark and wander around inside the building where the flats jump from 1 to 14+ as they don't realise 2-13 have their own front doors to the street and not accessible from inside the building.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback