U.K. tax payer, living overseas looking for U.K based savings account.

Hello everybody.  I live in France permanently but earn income from renting property I own in the U.K.  I pay tax in the U.K and hold a British passport.  I am about to sell a property in the U.K. and downsize, leaving a surplus that I would like to keep in an easy access account, but offering favourable interest.  My existing U.K account is up to the protected maximum for savings and pays poor interest, and I am struggling to find a bank that will accept me as I live overseas.  Has anyone else overcome this problem? Thank you.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 43,892
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My existing U.K account is up to the protected maximum for savings and pays poor interest,

And it is still there because at least your existing provider hasn't required you to close it on account of your non resident status?

https://www.monito.com/en/wiki/open-bank-account-uk-even-without-proof-residency
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 891
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2023 at 12:27PM
    madamebm said:
    Hello everybody.  I live in France permanently but earn income from renting property I own in the U.K.  I pay tax in the U.K and hold a British passport.  I am about to sell a property in the U.K. and downsize, leaving a surplus that I would like to keep in an easy access account, but offering favourable interest.  My existing U.K account is up to the protected maximum for savings and pays poor interest, and I am struggling to find a bank that will accept me as I live overseas.  Has anyone else overcome this problem? Thank you.

All UK account applications usually only work for UK residents. If you still have a UK current account, you can try NS&I. Their rates aren't stellar, and you might be better off with an offshore account, for example with Skipton International. With NS&I, your deposit is secured by the UK Treasury. With Skipton International, you need to check whether you get any deposit protection.
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 891
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2023 at 12:28PM
    xylophone said:
    My existing U.K account is up to the protected maximum for savings and pays poor interest,

And it is still there because at least your existing provider hasn't required you to close it on account of your non resident status?

https://www.monito.com/en/wiki/open-bank-account-uk-even-without-proof-residency

CAUTION - they treat Monese and Revolut like banks. Neither of them have a UK banking licence, so no FSCS protection.
  • Bostonerimus1
    Bostonerimus1 Posts: 474
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2023 at 12:49PM
    If you live in France why aren't you using French accounts?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback