Work focused interview group v work preparation group

In practical terms what are the differences between being placed in those groups.
I am talking about time commitments and what is expected of you in both of those groups.

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,856
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Thanks for that.  I did read that earlier but I was wondering what that meant in terms of time commitment.  Eg regular meetings.  How regular would they be?  How much time you would be expected to put in on training and work experience.  Do you need to keep a record for example?
    What happens at the meetings?
  • Alice_Holt
    Forumite
    edited 13 November 2023 at 8:25PM
    Which group are you in ?

I guess it varies between job centres and also work coaches. May also depend on the relationship you have with the work coach, and the reason for being placed into that work group.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Which group are you in ?
    I am not claiming UC but I know someone who may have to claim soon and I am trying to understand it and get my head around it.
  • Alice_Holt
    Forumite
    Bowey123 said:
    Which group are you in ?
    I am not claiming UC but I know someone who may have to claim soon and I am trying to understand it and get my head around it.
           Then why do you think they may be placed into one of these groups ?

Illness, caring responsibilities, young child, etc ? 

Are they currently in receipt of any benefits / TC's  ?
  • They have a young child
  • Currently working
  • Alice_Holt
    Forumite
    Bowey123 said:
    They have a young child
        The age of the child will determine the group. 

"If you’re the main carer for a child, your work-related activity group depends on how old your child is.

If you’re living with your partner you’ll need to nominate which of you is the main carer. You usually do this at your first interview at the Jobcentre.

The same rules apply if you’ve adopted a child or are looking after the child for a friend or relative. There are some differences in the first 12 months you’re looking after them.

Your child’s age        Your work group
    Under 1No work-related requirements group
    1Work-focused interview group
    2Work preparation group
    3 or aboveAll work-related activity group

If you’re in the all work-related activity group

Your work-related activity should still fit in with looking after your child.

While your child is under 13 your work coach has to make sure your work activity fits around school or nursery hours. This includes the time it takes you to travel there and back.

Your work coach should adjust your work-related activity if your child has extra care needs - for example if they have a mental health condition. They should do this even if your child is over 13.

Tell your work coach if you’re looking after your child but they normally live with an ex-partner. Your work-related activity group won’t change, but your work-related activity should still take your child into account while you’re looking after them."

If they are working and the child is under 3, then I presume (be interested in what other forumites say) they would not need to participate in work preparation meetings ?
  • What are the new rules about this?
    I am just interested in understanding it more fully in general.
  • Bowey123 said:
    What are the new rules about this?
    I am just interested in understanding it more fully in general.
    To my.knowledge, the new rules are about earnings when someone (or their partner) is in the all work-related activity group.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback