Student loan deduction with backdated pay? Help please.

Options
Hello I am currently on the plan 4 for student loans in Scotland where the threshold is £27,660 however my salary is at the highest amount it has been since I began working for my local authority in March 2018 and that amount is £26460.84 so I have never earned enough to be paying it back yet. 
In July 2020 I received backdated pay from April 2018 and student loans took £826 of that as a repayment, this was not overtime or a bonus it wasn’t even my earnings for that year it was backdated money that should have been paid over the previous 2 years if that makes sense?
However the total I paid student loans for that year according to my P60 is £1105 and my earnings for that year on the P60 were £29741.47. That was not my salary for that year that payment pushed me over the repayment threshold, that was backdated pay that I should have been getting for 2 years earlier in my wages that I did not get and now it’s gone to a loan I still don’t earn enough to pay back. I contacted student loans about this matter this and they said to contact my employer as they cannot do anything to action a refund from their end. I have contacted my employer the local authority who have said that their payroll section have confirmed that they are unable to refund any money as the deductions are calculated at the time of payment. I would really appreciate some help with this matter if anyone can assist me with this issue please? Thanks 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,004 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you are out of luck. If you go over the threshold for any reason in the tax year you aren’t entitled to a refund of monthly loan repayments made in individual months. It makes no difference that some of the money should have been paid in a previous tax year.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback