Ulster Bank

Durban
Durban Posts: 478
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 13 November 2023 at 4:16PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
I am in the process of switching my Ulster bank account to Barclays for the switch bonus. 

I also have an Ulster instant access savings account paying a very good 5.2 %

I can’t seem to find the answer on the Ulster website but can I keep the savings account without having the bank account ? 

Comments

• Largs
    Largs Posts: 187
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi.  Yes, that saver is open to everyone, you don't need to bank with Ulster to have one.  To operate it after you leave, you will need a card reader.
  • Durban said:
    I am in the process of switching my Ulster bank account to Barclays for 

I can’t seem to find the answer on the Ulster website but can I keep the savings account without having the bank account ? 
    Yes you can. I am in that position no problem. I think it is confusing calling the account a loyalty account as loyalty accounts usually have conditions attached such as having a current account or being a customer for a certain period of time. There are no conditions like that with this account (other than minimum £5000 to get the 5.2%)
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 486
    Forumite
    Durban said:

Yes you can. I am in that position no problem. I think it is confusing calling the account a loyalty account as loyalty accounts usually have conditions attached such as having a current account or being a customer for a certain period of time. There are no conditions like that with this account (other than minimum £5000 to get the 5.2%)
    Bit you cannot open the loyalty account without a current account. I tried. I have an e saver account but I needed to open a current to open the loyalty. So I'd be surprised if you can keep the loyalty open without the current but maybe it's possible?
  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 529
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Durban said:

Opening an account with Ulster Bank from GB is a real test of one's loyalty to chasing interest rates...
  • trient
    trient Posts: 170
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    dcs34 said:
    Durban said:

Opening an account with Ulster Bank from GB is a real test of one's loyalty to chasing interest rates...
    You know that (this) Ulster Bank _is_ in GB right?
  • cricidmuslibale
    cricidmuslibale Posts: 599
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 13 November 2023 at 11:34PM
    trient said:
    dcs34 said:
    Durban said:

That is factually incorrect!

Ulster Bank is NOT in GB (Great Britain).
    It IS in the UK (United Kingdom). The full version of the United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain ( = England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland!
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,619
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    trient said:
    dcs34 said:
    Durban said:

You know it's not, right? It's in the UK. But not in GB. The UK is the "UK of GB and N Ireland". Ulster is in the NI bit.
  • VXman said:
    Durban said:

Bit you cannot open the loyalty account without a current account. I tried. I have an e saver account but I needed to open a current to open the loyalty. So I'd be surprised if you can keep the loyalty open without the current but maybe it's possible?
    Well I opened the loyalty saver without having any other account with them no problem. Long winded process but I never saw anything that required a current account.
  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 529
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 November 2023 at 10:45AM
    trient said:
    dcs34 said:
    Durban said:

I used GB to distinguish that I'm not in Northern Ireland and hence can't go into a branch, so relying on their archaic postal-based opening procedures. Ulster Bank operates UK-wide but is predominantly a NI-facing brand and operation. UK = GB + NI
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 486
    Forumite
    VXman said:

Well I opened the loyalty saver without having any other account with them no problem. Long winded process but I never saw anything that required a current account.
    Just checked and it seems you are correct. I am not sure why I thought that. I think it was to do with applying from within Anytime banking. I already have that as I had an old E saver account with them. I'm sure it wouldn't let me open one and said I needed a Current account. Odd.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback