DRO Issued And Virgin Wanting Me To Post Proof

Options
I had a debt relief order issued about a month ago or so. I received a phone call today from Virgin Money, who was one of my creditors included in the DRO, they said they hadn't received any word of the DRO and I must physically post a letter with the DRO document included within 30 days. There was no option to email I must physically post it. Is this accurate? What would happen if I dont? I have absolutely no access to a printer right now and am worrying.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If they are in the dro, then there is nothing to worry about.

They can check that you have a dro from the insolvency register but to check whether your account is in it they would have to see either the creditor's notice (which they say they haven't been sent) or a copy of your debtor's notice.

It's probably easiest to get a copy made and fork out for a second class stamp. But at 75p that is annoying.
  • Jude57
    Jude57 Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    MikeyMole said:
    I had a debt relief order issued about a month ago or so. I received a phone call today from Virgin Money, who was one of my creditors included in the DRO, they said they hadn't received any word of the DRO and I must physically post a letter with the DRO document included within 30 days. There was no option to email I must physically post it. Is this accurate? What would happen if I dont? I have absolutely no access to a printer right now and am worrying.
    It's usually recommended that you download and print several copies of your DRO confirmation but if you don't have access to a printer it's difficult but not impossible. Any creditor can ask for anything they like but it won't alter the fact that your DRO exists and there's nothing they can do about that. Speak to your DRO intermediary and ask them to send written proof. It's likely they are about to do so, if they haven't already. Alternatively, if you're not able to print at home or at work, your local large library may have internet accessible terminals where you can print things off for a small charge. Smaller, branch libraries may not all have these facilities but search for 'internet cafe near me' and you'll hopefully find somewhere where you can print off a few copies just in case you're asked for proof by any other creditors.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 November 2023 at 5:41PM
    Options
    What are you worried about exactly?

It doesn't matter what Virgin Money say you "must" do, they just became irrelevant, and have no say in your affairs, you are in a DRO, and this protects you from any creditor action, so you can ignore them completely.

If your only a month in, its likely the notice has not filtered down to the correct department as yet.

But whatever the reason, you do not have to do anything, and there is nothing they can do either.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MikeyMole
    Options
    What are you worried about exactly?

It doesn't matter what Virgin Money say you "must" do, they just became irrelevant, and have no say in your affairs, you are in a DRO, and this protects you from any creditor action, so you can ignore them completely.

If your only a month in, its likely the notice has not filtered down to the correct department as yet.

But whatever the reason, you do not have to do anything, and there is nothing they can do either.

I was worried about being harassed with creditors looking for money etc. I've recent;y moved home away from my parent's house and they didnt know I was in debt so I dont want loads of debt letters coming to their house.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Your creditors are still allowed to write to you during the moratorium. There will be letters that they are legally required to send. The only thing they cannot do is make demand for payment
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2023 at 3:03PM
    Options
    redirect your mail to your new home, set one up from royal mail
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • MikeyMole
    Options
    Thank you for the advice/

Also what will happen to my credit report.? Will my debts from the DRO show as settled? what if they aren;t? that was another thing i was worried about.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2023 at 3:42PM
    Options
    not sure if they are settled until the 12 months is over.cos a dro can end if your wages go up or expenses  go down too much within that 12 months period etc. I think the creditors cant collect or demand for 12 months as such.then after that debts get written off.
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    At the end of the 12 months, get a copy to check that all default dates are showing as the date of the DRO or earlier.

Yes they should be marked settled
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure