PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What are the risks of buying from a failing developer?

Comments

• Ybe
    Ybe Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This one looks far better value so why has it not sold for over 6 months? 

• Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For the one that hasn’t sold I would think it has to do with the relatively short lease term and uncertainty in the whole market over leaseholds.  The Government keep making noises about what they will and won’t do that are contradictory which makes buyers twitchy.

Do not buy from a company that you think is in trouble.  If they are in trouble they will have been taking money from buyers and lenders but not paying their sub-contractors. If they fail you will be at the end of the queue for payments and get very little back.  If the quality isn’t good you also won’t get anywhere.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Ybe
    Butti said:
    For the one that hasn’t sold I would think it has to do with the relatively short lease term and uncertainty in the whole market over leaseholds.  The Government keep making noises about what they will and won’t do that are contradictory which makes buyers twitchy.

Do not buy from a company that you think is in trouble.  If they are in trouble they will have been taking money from buyers and lenders but not paying their sub-contractors. If they fail you will be at the end of the queue for payments and get very little back.  If the quality isn’t good you also won’t get anywhere.
    I can’t tell if they’re in trouble. 
  • Ybe said:
    I wouldn't go any further with this - it can cause problems if the developer goes under while you are mid transaction - and particularly if it happens after you have paid your deposit, but before completion.
    What kind of problems?  
    At work we currently have a client who is fighting to get their deposit back after the developer they were buying from went under just a short while before the intended date for completion. The property is not finished, and there is no prospect of it being so anytime soon, therefore they opted to step out of the transaction - they had every right to do so under the contract but the developer's solicitors will not release the deposit money back to the client as they say that as the developer is no longer trading, that decision has to be taken by the Administrators. The administrators have things like that as a very low priority, so currently our client is left in limbo. 

Administrations typically take 12-18 months to get to the point of a payout and it’s often pennies in the pound after priority debtors (HMRC, secured banks etc) and the administrators are paid.
    This is a little more complex though - primarily our argument is that the client's deposit money was being Held to Order by the developer's solicitors, and that it was not yet the developers money, and so should not be being withheld. This is what I meant by buying from a possibly failing developer being risky. It seems that in the longer term the administrators may well agree with this standpoint, but at the moment even being able to get the matter in front of them is difficult. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • OP =- don't have any faith whatsoever that the currently uncontrolled street parking will stay that way! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,765 Forumite
    Ybe said:

....With the car free bit, there is street parking nearby which is uncontrolled and there are alot of young ftbs in london who don’t need or want a car.
    If it is in London and in a street where parking is not yet controlled then it is only a matter of time before overspill parking from 'car free' developments will cause the council to introduce parking controls.  Assuming on-street parking will be available forever would be a mistake.

Also, what the owner needs/wants in terms of parking is only one factor.  They should consider what friends/family visiting them might need - if you relocate yourself somewhere where the only way of getting there is by public transport it shouldn't come as a surprise later on if some friends/family don't want to visit because of the hassle of getting there.  For many people that lifestyle works, but generally it only works well in central London boroughs where the public transport system is good.  In outer London public transport isn't as good as non-Londoners might believe.  A development may be near a tube station, but how do you get anywhere when strikes or weekend maintenance work mean no services.

To a degree some developers are selling a dream... they won't be around when the reality bites.
  • Ybe
    edited 15 November 2023 at 1:25PM
    Is this poor financial performance? They’re in their 4th consecutive year of net losses although the net loss is becoming smaller. Their net liabilities have grown. They are operating on bank loans and investments from their majority shareholder based in the US who have given them backing at least for the next 12 months. They also seem to be getting a fair bit of support from state grants. And they have this narrative - https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/pocket-living-falls-to-19m-loss/5118587.article
  • My biggest concern in buying a property from developers in financial troubles would be the warranty so if they go into administration, and you find there's a fault but you cannot do anything.
  • Ybe
    My biggest concern in buying a property from developers in financial troubles would be the warranty so if they go into administration, and you find there's a fault but you cannot do anything.
    I didn’t think about this at all. Thanks. 
  • Ybe
    Section62 said:
    Ybe said:

....With the car free bit, there is street parking nearby which is uncontrolled and there are alot of young ftbs in london who don’t need or want a car.
    If it is in London and in a street where parking is not yet controlled then it is only a matter of time before overspill parking from 'car free' developments will cause the council to introduce parking controls.  Assuming on-street parking will be available forever would be a mistake.

Also, what the owner needs/wants in terms of parking is only one factor.  They should consider what friends/family visiting them might need - if you relocate yourself somewhere where the only way of getting there is by public transport it shouldn't come as a surprise later on if some friends/family don't want to visit because of the hassle of getting there.  For many people that lifestyle works, but generally it only works well in central London boroughs where the public transport system is good.  In outer London public transport isn't as good as non-Londoners might believe.  A development may be near a tube station, but how do you get anywhere when strikes or weekend maintenance work mean no services.

To a degree some developers are selling a dream... they won't be around when the reality bites.
    I’ve found the tube pretty reliable in outer london including on weekends. I’ve never needed a car. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback