Selling the house.

Ok just wanting to check a few things on House sale.

We have probate so now we need to sell the house and split the cash amount up from the house sale.
I have the value from doing the probate, So do i just instruct a estate agent to sell, Presume they would want to see the probate Certificate ?

Thanks

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,294
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 November 2023 at 7:24PM
    If you have the probate certificate it would help to show it to the EA, but it's doubtful if they need to see it, given that many such houses are put up for sale before probate has been granted. More importantly, your solicitor will need to see it to confirm that you have authority to sell the house.
    If there is more than one executor then it's likely that the EA will want to have all executors sign the paperwork, when my sister and I sold my mum's house we visited the EA together to arrange the sale particulars. I dealt with the solicitor but my sister had to co-sign many of the forms.
    And you need to think about how you'll receive the money from the house sale. If you have an executor account held jointly with any other executors that's fine, but if, like me, you are using an existing account in one name only then the solicitor will require you all to sign a letter giving authority for the money to be paid to that one name.
  • msb1234
    msb1234 Posts: 510
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    having received probate I instructed an EA, showed them the Probate docs, instructed a solicitor as soon as I got an offer. The solicitor told me that the  cash from the sale could either go into the solicitor client account and be distributed to the beneficiaries from there (at an additional cost) or be paid into the executor account directly.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,298
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Presume they would want to see the probate Certificate ?

Makes life easier just to offer sight of it. You'll need to provide proof of your own identity anyway. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,396
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you have the probate certificate it would help to show it to the EA, but it's doubtful if they need to see it, given that many such houses are put up for sale before probate has been granted. More importantly, your solicitor will need to see it to confirm that you have authority to sell the house.

The EA should also check that their client has title to sell the property, though I guess some don't bother.

Not sure why the OP is asking? If the EA asks to see probate, show them it.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,624
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just read the posts on house selling. Get a realistic valuaton from three local agents and choose who to go with. Do  you need to prepare house for sale in any way, most benefit from being clean and tidy with maintained garden?
  • When I sold my late Mum's flat the money went into the solicitor client account.  She took their fees and EA fees (with my agreement) and sent me the remainder.  Although, I was the main beneficiary, I'm sure they could've sent shares out (as above) for an additional fee.  It did help that the solicitor held the deeds, did probate for me and were local.  The EAs will know most of the local solicitors.

I hope you are as lucky as I was with an easy sale.
  • Thanks everyone great help there. Ill crack on with the house sale. Thanks again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback