Martin Lewis: How to halve your car and home insurance costs just by getting it on the right day

MSE_Molly_G
MSE_Molly_G Posts: 68
First Post Name Dropper
MSE Staff
edited 10 November 2023 at 5:29PM in Insurance & life assurance
You could HALVE the cost of your car and home insurance just by getting renewal quotes on the right day. MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis shared the tip and explained why it works on the latest episode of ITV's The Martin Lewis Money Show Live.

Watch the clip:

Martin Lewis: How to halve your car and home insurance costs just by getting it on the right day – and why it works

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,672
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Half car insurance cost, aye right. 
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,687
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 November 2023 at 7:51AM
    My renewal quote is 49% up on last year. Normal risk driver, family car not special, not an EV.

I've been updating my car insurance quotes on 3 of the largest price comparison sites for 10 days. It's now 30 days to renewal.

In the last 10 days the best prices have not changed more than £5.

I'm looking forward to day 23 when it halves.....
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,574
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    One thing it doesn't explain is it it works if you get early quotes at say 30 days out, and then get more at say 25 days out.

Does getting quotes early lock in the high prices?
  • This simply isn't true. I don't know why this site persists in peddling this fantasy.

I did comparison site quotes every week from 8 to 1 weeks prior to my renewal date and my quotes were exactly the same every time.

Whilst some more expensive providers may have fluctuated their prices over this period, the cheaper 10 providers did not.

The timing of obtaining a quote was therefore irrelevant. 

• It's fairly unethical to tell people In financial hardship that they will be able to save £100s just before Christmas when this isn't the case.

People may make financial commitments based on this misleading advice.

I like the way you capitalize "HALVE" just like scam emails would do 
  • rigolith
    Forumite
    edited 13 November 2023 at 1:19PM
    This simply isn't true. I don't know why this site persists in peddling this fantasy.

I did comparison site quotes every week from 8 to 1 weeks prior to my renewal date and my quotes were exactly the same every time.

Whilst some more expensive providers may have fluctuated their prices over this period, the cheaper 10 providers did not.

The timing of obtaining a quote was therefore irrelevant. 

That's what I'm asking. If you do an early quote does it lock in the high prices? Seems like it does, so you have to wait for 25 days and don't be tempted to look before.
  • QrizB said:
    @MSE_Molly_G is this really an "energy" story?
    Hi, sorry about this! The discussion has now been relocated :smile: 
  • interestingly, having had renewal notices 1 month in advance from Admiral for the past 20 years, giving me enough time to compare with quotes from other companies and renegotiate my renewal quote, suddenly this year for the first time Admiral are not sending me my renewal notice until 23 days prior to my renewal date.  Seems mighty suspicious to me....
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,687
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Down to day 27 and best renewal has gone down by £2 Not holding much hope for day 23....

Lowest three companies all the same ones.

• rigolith
    Forumite
    I think you have screwed yourself by doing a quote too early, locking in high prices. I think you need to wait for day 23 before doing a comparison.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback