Standing charge, supply change to remove

CJ123
CJ123 Posts: 41
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 10 November 2023 at 2:19PM in Energy
Hi, I'm a bit rusty with this since leaving the sector a few years ago, but a Utilita door salesman has advised my daily standing charge with my current supplier (Octopus) is due to them installing the meters when I was on supply with them a couple of years ago. He said I can have the standing charge removed, but have to switch back to them for a few weeks to do this, but can switch back to my supplier (and when I do, the daily standing charge will not apply). Is this correct?

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,672
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2023 at 2:39PM
    No, he is talking absolute cobblers. Either that or you have misunderstood. Or maybe a bit of both.

Utilita offer a tarriff, if I recall correctly, with zero standing charge HOWEVER its merely added to the first two units each day, so if you use a normal amount of electric per day, you still pay the charge anyway.

If you move elsewhere you would then have to pay whatever that operator is offering - likely tarriffs with standing charges. Its absolutely nothing to do with who installed your meter.  He has told you a blatant lie, followed it up with a creative lie where he is technically correct (but isnt really given the cost of the opening two units each day) and then followed up with another out and out lie.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,760
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Absolutely not.
    Never have anything to do with door to door people.  Get a door sticker saying NO Cold Callers.
  • CJ123
    Forumite
    Aw thanks. I was returning to my home so he saw me on the way in. I'll cancel the sign up. Thanks.
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2023 at 3:01PM
    CJ123 said:
    Aw thanks. I was returning to my home so he saw me on the way in. I'll cancel the sign up. Thanks.
    You have worked in the industry and didnt question any of it? 

Yes, thats probably wise. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,681
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Blimey. The misselling is still going on based on what you have said.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • CJ123
    Forumite
    la531983 said:
    CJ123 said:
    You have worked in the industry and didnt question any of it? 

Yes, thats probably wise. 
    I know, very embarrassing.😊
  • la531983 said:
    No, he is talking absolute cobblers. Either that or you have misunderstood. Or maybe a bit of both.

Utilita offer a tarriff, if I recall correctly, with zero standing charge HOWEVER its merely added to the first two units each day, so if you use a normal amount of electric per day, you still pay the charge anyway.

If you move elsewhere you would then have to pay whatever that operator is offering - likely tarriffs with standing charges. Its absolutely nothing to do with who installed your meter.  He has told you a blatant lie, followed it up with a creative lie where he is technically correct (but isnt really given the cost of the opening two units each day) and then followed up with another out and out lie.
    If you have a holiday home which is closed 4 months during winter would this company be a good idea?
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MACKEM99 said:
    la531983 said:

If you have a holiday home which is closed 4 months during winter would this company be a good idea?
    I suppose it might. 
  • You'd need to check with them if they have a minimum use requirement (annually or otherwise). 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,680
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You would have to realistically work out how many days you would use less than the minimum daily units.

And then from the few posts seen here quoting their rates against those users svts - factor in the small premium charge on the first two cf the standing charge and the premium kWh rate.

How do you close up the property for winter - what is your consumption for lights, security and especially heating etc if any when absent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback