Closing bank accounts on - line

2»

Comments

• wmb194 said:
    vixen1500 said:
    Received letters from Halifax saving my regular savers are about to mature.  Apparently these will automatically renew and you can only close them in branch.
    I had not planned on continuing with them, just wondering what happens if I nolonger make any payments into the account, will the Halifax then close them?
    They'll just sit empty forever... You close them online by 'renewing' them into an easy access account and closing that.
    Thanks so much for sharing that.  

I have been trying to cut down the number of savings accounts we have as their is barely any difference between most regular savers and the easy access accounts at present.
    Typically confused and asking for advice
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wmb194 said:
    vixen1500 said:
    Received letters from Halifax saving my regular savers are about to mature.  Apparently these will automatically renew and you can only close them in branch.
    I had not planned on continuing with them, just wondering what happens if I nolonger make any payments into the account, will the Halifax then close them?
    They'll just sit empty forever... You close them online by 'renewing' them into an easy access account and closing that.
    Would the same apply to Lloyds accounts, do you think? I have about four or five empty old regular saver accounts that I can't close either online or in App. If I renew them into something else, I'll then be able to close them via either online / app?
  • vixen1500 said:
    Heard on here that the Ulster Bank 5.2% Loyalty Saver that I've shovelled cash into can only be closed by visiting Norn Iron.

It's easy access so no big deal but, since it pays interest annually, the usual route to getting early dibs on the extra by closing the account is problematic.

Solo accounts can be closed online

Joint accounts require you to request in writing 
    You can only close Ulster Bank account online if you have more than 1 account. I completed the online form to close an account with Ulster Bank. A week later got an email from RBS saying I couldn't close the the account and had to go to one of their branches. Forget having to go to Northern Ireland, to receive an email from a different bank about an account with another bank (even part of the same group) is a big no no, especially thinking about scams and fraud. Complained over a week ago to two places but not received any acknowledgement.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 November 2023 at 9:42PM
    Yorkie1 said:
    wmb194 said:
    vixen1500 said:
    Would the same apply to Lloyds accounts, do you think? I have about four or five empty old regular saver accounts that I can't close either online or in App. If I renew them into something else, I'll then be able to close them via either online / app?
    Yes, you can use the same process with Lloyds (and BoS).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback