Strange Car insurance quotes.

Hi 
I just had to scrap my old 1998 subaru impreza non turbo which i had for 21 yrs thanks to ulez,
I am now looking for a replacement, 

I found 2 cars i was interested in, one a family hatchback 2018 1.6se subaru impreza automatic with 24000miles insurance grp 12e the other a Sports car 2018 Subaru BRZ 2.0 with 22000 miles insurance grp 31e, what i cant understand is why the quotes i am getting are virtually the same for each car only a difference of about £5,

Can anyone explain this as the BRZ has bigger engine , more bhp and worth a 3rd to a half more and far higher when it comes to insurance grps,

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,014
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 November 2023 at 2:24PM
    Insurance groups are about safety features, cost to repair and performance. Insurers generally don't use them to rate vehicles... its more about the sort of person that likes buying a type of car and how they drive etc... at the end of the day the biggest claims are when you hit someone else and that doesn't tend to matter if your in a cheap car low performance car or a giant prestige vehicle, they all do the same damage to a pedestrian at 40mph.

As a more extreme example than yours looking at a Mini Cooper S and a Mercedes SL500 both brand new, the Merc was the cheaper to insure despite being 3 times the price and vastly higher performance and big difference in insurance group
  • Thanks Dull

having not changed cars for 21 yrs guess I'm a bit rusty on this, but agree with what you said,  having done more research i have found it is cheaper to insure a Porsche Cayman when compared to a Mazda 3, Honda civic, or Impreza family hatchback , seems bonkers to me but guess sports car it is :)
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,363
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Slightly off topic but did you watch Wheeler Dealers sticking a turbo on the BRZ a couple of days ago?
  • Hi Chris

i missed that but have seen stuff on you tube and info from tuning companies seems quite straight forward to get the engine to 300bhp with a turbo or supercharger, what makes me laugh is the noise tube that goes to a hole under the carpet on the drivers side and the fact you cab use the 12v socket cap to plug it. i shouldnt be surprised though the switch that said bright on it in my 1998 classic impreza always made me laugh as all it did was make the tiny digital clock a bit brighter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback