Delay replay - Hull trains refusing to pay out

Options
I was delayed 2h5m on a 4h25m journey. When I got my destination station, which was unmanned at 11pm, I put my ticket into the barrier to exit and it swallowed it.

I submitted a claim and have provided card statements and pictures of reservation tickets but because I don’t have my actual paper ticket due to the above and hull trains are refusing to pay out.

Any suggestions here to get the compensation I deserve for having to stand up for 3h?

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have claimed through Hull Trains delay repay portal you may have to send an email with the evidence if you don't have the ticket.

In future when buying a paper ticket request a receipt.  It will have the ticket details required for a claim.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2023 at 5:51PM
    Options
    daveyjp said:

In future when buying a paper ticket request a receipt.  It will have the ticket details required for a claim.

Or speak to the staff on the gate explaining that you want to keep the ticket to claim delay repay.  They should open the gate to let you out if you show them the ticket.
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    martindow said:
    daveyjp said:

Or speak to the staff on the gate explaining that you want to keep the ticket to claim delay repay.  They should open the gate to let you out if you show them the ticket.
    OP said station was unstaffed, although I suspect there was staff somewhere hiding as the station had gates and these need to be opened if there is an emergency (yes, maybe linked to alarm system or openable remotely)
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    martindow said:
    daveyjp said:

OP said station was unstaffed, although I suspect there was staff somewhere hiding as the station had gates and these need to be opened if there is an emergency (yes, maybe linked to alarm system or openable remotely)
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
    martindow said:
    daveyjp said:

OP said it was 11p.m. and the gate was unmanned.
  • MilesT6060842
    MilesT6060842 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 November 2023 at 3:25PM
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    If you have claimed through Hull Trains delay repay portal you may have to send an email with the evidence if you don't have the ticket.

If you have a delay, take a picture of the ticket using your phone and any electronic signs before leaving the train/station as proof for filing a claim.

If you have a smartphone/computer and mobile data/wifi, then try completing the delay repay form online, on the train as soon as you know the ticket is eligible for the delay compensation.  Or maybe on the platform at your destination.

(writing this on a very delayed train on the South Western Main line..already submitted my claim although I had to wait until later int journey to be able to complete the claim online)

• rollingmoon
    Options
    No great help in this case, sorry, but I've been faced with the same situation many times on Northern's lousy trains; all I do is take a picture of the ticket before putting it in the barrier. Just make sure it's in focus, because if they're like Northern they will use any excuse not to pay out.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback