looking for a wireless thermostat system for Bosch Greenstar 30i boiler

Comments

• spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Despite all the replies I'm still not clear why there isn't a snap in controller to replace the electromechanical one. Surely it's possible?

When you mention Hive do they actually make something that replaces the electromechanical timer in the Greenstar 30i?
  • northernstar007
    northernstar007 Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 November 2023 at 11:20AM
    ive also go the hive and highly recommended it, works off app aswell also works on alexa
  • spaceboy said:
    Despite all the replies I'm still not clear why there isn't a snap in controller to replace the electromechanical one. Surely it's possible?

I wrote this previously but I'll write it again in more detail.  To access the controls and your optional electromechanical controller there is a hinged section of the case which you pull down.  So when the case is closed for normal operation
    any controller that plugs directly into the boiler is inside a metal box.  A metal box will block the wireless signal that the controller needs to communicate with a wireless room thermostat.

So you mount the controller on a wall and run a wire from the controller to the boiler; it's very simple.   
    Reed
  • spaceboy
    edited 9 November 2023 at 1:12PM
    spaceboy said:

I wrote this previously but I'll write it again in more detail.  To access the controls and your optional electromechanical controller there is a hinged section of the case which you pull down.  So when the case is closed for normal operation
    any controller that plugs directly into the boiler is inside a metal box.  A metal box will block the wireless signal that the controller needs to communicate with a wireless room thermostat.

So you mount the controller on a wall and run a wire from the controller to the boiler; it's very simple.   
    The hinged panel which you pull down is plastic. The area where the electromechanical timer clips in is plastic.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Reading the install manual for the MT10RF its simply not a home user install, You need to be gas safe to remove the main cover to plug it in, no mater what version you end up going with, smart or like for like replacement. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325880307901?

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/literature/download/8716115752
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    markin said:
     You need to be gas safe to remove the main cover to plug it in ...
    Although (so long as you don't stuff it up) nobody will ever know if you aren't ...

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • spaceboy
    QrizB said:
    markin said:
    Although (so long as you don't stuff it up) nobody will ever know if you aren't ...

So does it just clip in to replace the old one?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    spaceboy said:
    QrizB said:
    markin said:

So does it just clip in to replace the old one?
    There's a link to the manual in markin's post above. It's a little bit more involved than just clipping it in. Look at them and see what you think.
    I see there are various other options for timers and thermostats. Make sure you chooe one that fits your specific Worcester boiler, they're not all identical.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,620 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could I suggest a couple of options to avoid / mitigate the risks associated with DIY gas work?

Assuming you have your boiler serviced regularly then you could get the parts, install the wall thrmostat part and get the service engineer to install the boiler part for you as part of the next service. If it's just a question of plugging it in the cost should be minimal, and if you know your service engineer may even be free.

Another option, if you absolutely must go down the DIY route, would be to do the installation just before the next boiler service and then at least you'll get it checked out as part of the regular service without any cost.
  • spaceboy
    edited 10 November 2023 at 12:12AM
    Apparently you don't need to be Gas Safe to do this work on your own boiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEemzbWDWE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure