Carers Card UK benefits

Options
Has anyone signed up for the Carers Card UK ?

Their website doesn't specify where you are able to get discounts from and how widely accepted it is to get discounts in person and online.

I already have Blue Light Card for my paid care work but I wondered if it is also worth me getting the carers Card as I am a carer for my grandmother.

Thank you very much for any advice

Carers Card UK - Our National Carer ID Card

Comments

• Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 November 2023 at 7:10PM
    Options
    From the FAQ -
    "Do I have to provide any documentation?"
    Answer: No.
    In other words just send us your £8 for something that is not officially recognised.
    To me that says all you need to know about such schemes.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Plus no pre-purchase information at all on the alleged hundreds of discounts that you may or may not get. 
    I do like a bit of transparency before I fork any money out.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Newcad said:
    From the FAQ -
    "Do I have to provide any documentation?"
    Answer: No.
    In other words just send us your £8 for something that is not officially recognised.
    To me that says all you need to know about such schemes.
    That in itself is not a huge red flag for me, since most official evidence would rely on the cared-for person receiving the appropriate award of a disability benefit (we know how difficult that can be, and how high the threshold is - plenty of people who truly don't qualify still do require care) and the carer not earning above a certain threshold.  Other forms of evidence might be hit and miss, such as both being registered with your GP as a carer AND them being willing to provide confirmation of that.

But if there's no real information about what discounts the card gives or where it's recognised, that's definitely a red flag for me.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 9:44PM
    Options
    Avoid - lack of transparency on 'the perks/discounts' but I suspect they're nothing special otherwise they'd say...  and anyone can get the card... in fact you can even buy one for anyone else. I just cannot see the value of it - what organisations or businesses would use it as proof for some perk or benefit.... none that I can see.

Looks like a money making exercise to me and if they genuinely believed in their mission they would surely not pursue this method above a straightforward political campaign.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • elsien
    edited 8 November 2023 at 9:34PM
    Options
    I’m trying to think of other circumstances in which it might be useful, but I am struggling a little. 
    Because it’s for example, someone has an accident and was unable to speak for themselves, doctors aren’t going to be asking for a carer’s  card they are going to be asking for a power-of-attorney as a starting point.

Or if you’re wanting cheap access to the cinema, they are going to be asking for the CEA card or proof of benefits.

For example. 
    I’m going to be charitable, and presume it was initially for people who did want some sort of recognition of their role. I’m just struggling to see many circumstances in which it would be of any use.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• booklover500
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice and comments - I think I will give the card a miss then!
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I signed up for Discounts for carers which is free and needs no validation. It's part of a larger group of Discounts for... eg teachers. The discounts look ok on the face of it eg 15% off fragrance shop, 40% off AA, but the Blue Light card probably trumps them all.
  • elsien
    edited 9 November 2023 at 11:07AM
    Options
    Completely off topic but I am still miffed I don't qualify for the blue light card as although a front line worker who worked throughout covid going into care homes and hospitals, I'm not directly employed by a care home, the NHS or a local authority and my job title/employer doesn't fit any of their labels or recognised organisations although my job is a statutory requirement. 

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I've been out with friends and need a carer ticket, I'm the one asked for evidence. I've never known my friends to be asked for proof that they're my carer 
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice and comments - I think I will give the card a miss then!
    Numerous cards, members clubs etc. offer discounts on many things . In fact there are so many it is not possible to monitor them all. For example.
    Both my credit cards have discount schemes with various retailers, holiday providers etc.
    My Car dealer/garage has a link with some other discount scheme .
    My previous house insurer did the same.
    Etc

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport