Disclosing claims

Hi all
I have made 2 claims on my employers insurance for minor bumps this year, do I have to disclose these to my personal car insurers?

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,708
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Does your insurer ask if you have made any claims?  If so you must answer truthfully.  
  • More than likely yes

It depends on the wording/question on the declaration or in the policy details.

• comeandgo said:
    Does your insurer ask if you have made any claims?  If so you must answer truthfully.  
    Technically it's the company that have made a claim on their policy so not sure if I have to disclose them
  • Ozzig
    Ozzig Posts: 301
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    comeandgo said:
    Technically it's the company that have made a claim on their policy so not sure if I have to disclose them
    When I moved from a company car scheme, I had this conversation with the insurers I got personal quotes from.

I had a hit-and-run when parked which the company did not claim on their insurance and just had the car fixed.
    Also, a non-fault claim where the moron who hit me admitted fault, then denied fault, then when it came to a court date, admitted fault, this was all handled by the insurers.

They all confirmed they wanted to know about both incidents, but neither had a big impact on my premiums as coming from a company car scheme I was starting with no no-claims anyway.

• Steadyeddie_2
    Steadyeddie_2 Posts: 38
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2023 at 5:14PM
    I've run a few quotes and if I add both claims it doubles my premium from £400 to £800!! And I lose most of my 6 years no claims bonus
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,641
    Forumite
    comeandgo said:
    Technically you made the claims through their policy. They want to know your history, so yes all accidents and claims need to be disclosed as per the question asked.
  • Ozzig
    Ozzig Posts: 301
    Forumite
    I've run a few quotes and if I add both claims it doubles my premium from £400 to £800!! And I lose most of my 6 years no claims bonus
    When I had a company car, I also insured my own car (9+ years NCD) so declared the incidents when renewing that one and it didn't make much of a difference, from memory about 10% but it did not change my NCD with them.

As I cannot have two policies with the same NCD, the car I have to replace my company car started from no NCD so the claims did make a difference but only about £20-30.

I did make it clear to both insurers that the incidents were on a company car in my sole use, not sure if that's any different from your situation. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,641
    Forumite
    It should not be affecting your NCD at all as that is a separate policy. You still put in the amount of years NCD you have when getting the quote.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,138
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    comeandgo said:
    In nearly all cases the question will be "have you had any accidents or claims in the last X years?" or something very similar. Clearly you've had accidents, whether or not you consider yourself to have made a claim, so the answer has to be "yes".

As above your no claims discount should be unaffected as NCD applies to a policy, not a person
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,161
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2023 at 7:35PM
    If you have run quotes with and without and you now don't declare them there is a risk that their fraud detection systems will pick that up That's not a risk you should take.
    Did you run the with quotes assuming a reduced NCD? If you did that was wrong as you haven't claimed and your NCD is unaffected.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback