We need to replace your smart meters

I've had a letter headlined as in the title saying that my meters are "older style smart meters" and "won't work properly after December 2023". I can't find anything on line about this - just about the Radio Teleswitch Service ending in March, but that doesn't affect me. I don't think my meter is anything out of the ordinary - it gives 30 minute readings so can't be that out of date - and am wondering how many meters are going to have to be replaced in such a short time, and why I've been given so little notice. Does anyone know why meters are going to stop working at the end of the year? Is the alarm just a way of making sure customers don't ignore the letter and all they're really doing is replacing a meter that actually would still work perfectly well in 2024? 
Thanks. 

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,022
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It is, presumably, a SMETs1 meter. Some can be upgraded to SMETs2 standard but some can't, so have to be replaced.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,786
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Only 57% of all meters in Great Britain were smart at March 2023.

Components for an estimated seven million smart meters (out of around 32.4 million installed at March 2023) will need to be replaced because they will lose functionality when the 2G and 3G mobile communications networks are closed.
    The Government has set a deadline for 3G to be turned off by 2025 and 2G by 2033 - though some networks will do so sooner - perhaps that is the reason for the deadline?

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My smart meter has never worked, installer knew it would never work but was paid to instal so they did, I just have to tell the electric company the readings every month, no great problem.
  • comeandgo said:
    My smart meter has never worked, installer knew it would never work but was paid to instal so they did, I just have to tell the electric company the readings every month, no great problem.
    I admire your glass half full attitude.
    Out of interest, do you know why the smart meter doesn't work as expected? Are you in a mobile signal blackspot?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,624
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does anyone know why meters are going to stop working at the end of the year?
    Let's turn the question around.
    What make and model are your smart meters?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Interestingly, my smart meter has been glitching lately, not updating the balance on it and the indoor display is glitching too. I've done all the trouble shooting and nothing has worked. I topped at £20 online including an auto payment top up. Yet I came home to no electricity and 1p credit left! It was incredibly difficult getting through to someone because they shut the phonelines at 6pm (edf) instead they had an autobot on WhatsApp instead! And even when a real human assistant did answer, they didn't address the problems. I had contacted them about these problems about 2 weeks ago and at the time they said they would "investigate it" 

I've had to BUY a new in-home display! I am so angry at this. I did read earlier this year that some older smart meter displays would stop working again which would cause problems with the balance updating and reading being sent and received. 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,084
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A malfunctioning in home display will never impact the figures sent to your supplier. When you came home to the 1p credit, was that on the meter or the IHD?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback