Hello fresh

Hi all, 
I've seen similar, but not sure what to do as this case is slightly different. I recieved an offer from hello fresh via email. I followed the link to see the offer, which re activated an old account. I wasn't aware the link would do this. I have a parcel arriving at my daughters old address. They also took money from an old empty bank account. I tried to cancel but was told I had to cancel 5 days before the delivery. Unfortunately I wasn't a member 5 days before delivery. I don't get paid until next week, so can't top the old account up. I can't change the address as its too close to delivery. Will they let me collect if I just hang around outside the old address. Seems a bit odd to say the least. I've tried to cancel via my banking app, but it keeps crashing. I won't have a day off work until next week, so can't get to the bank. Anything I can do, or just borrow the £25. It says pending, am I in an overdraft if its pending?

Thank you.

Comments

• I wouldn’t think any good courier would give you the parcel outside the address, it’s actually a common scam for people to order items to someone else’s address using stolen card details, so then when the company try to retrieve the goods the scammer already has them, clearly that’s not what you are doing, but a good courier shouldn’t hand over a parcel to someone outside an address.

Also if you are noticed by the people who live there now, might get suspicious and ask you to move on, or even contact the police.  

Depending on how long ago your daughter moved out could she contact the new owners and ask if they would either let you collect the parcel, or refuse it when it arrives ?

Are you sure the order will definitely be delivered, if they weren’t able to take money from the old bank account I would think they would cancel it, if you only placed the order today you might get a cancellation email in the next day or so.
  • SWD-MOR
    SWD-MOR Posts: 19
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply.
    The address is a flat on a council estate, so we won't know who lives in the flat now. It's not the best area, so someone hanging around isn't unusual or suspicious unfortunately. 
    I explained on the phone to a customer care manager the bank account was empty, but she just said they'd recieved the money their end. I told her we didn't live at the address, but she just said it was the address on the account and couldn't be changed. 
    I dont think she could do anything her end, she just said it was in the ts and Cs. Oddly they say click the link and reactivate the account. She told me just clicking on the link reactivated the account. 
    She said she couldn't take it further, couldn't stop or change the address. 
    Delivery is Thursday, so will try again after work tonight.
  • SWD-MOR said:
    The address is a flat on a council estate, so we won't know who lives in the flat now. It's not the best area, so someone hanging around isn't unusual or suspicious unfortunately. 
    I explained on the phone to a customer care manager the bank account was empty, but she just said they'd recieved the money their end. I told her we didn't live at the address, but she just said it was the address on the account and couldn't be changed. 
    I dont think she could do anything her end, she just said it was in the ts and Cs. Oddly they say click the link and reactivate the account. She told me just clicking on the link reactivated the account. 
    Contact the bank, explain everything you have here, and request a chargeback. Also leave a negative review on Trust Pilot, and on social media, copying the company in. Good luck!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,655
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pippiny said:
    SWD-MOR said:
    Contact the bank, explain everything you have here, and request a chargeback. Also leave a negative review on Trust Pilot, and on social media, copying the company in. Good luck!
    You can't request a chargeback in this case..

Life in the slow lane
  • Pippiny said:
    SWD-MOR said:
    Why do you suggest leaving negative reviews? I cannot see were Hello Fresh are at fault?
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,338
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2023 at 2:04PM
    Pippiny said:
    SWD-MOR said:
    Why do you suggest leaving negative reviews? I cannot see were Hello Fresh are at fault?
    I certainly think it's a little odd to have a link in an email which when clicked sends a parcel with no further confirmation of the address/contents/bank details etc. 

Especially with something like hello fresh where you normally have the ability to choose the meals and delivery day. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2023 at 2:04PM
    Exodi said:
    Pippiny said:
    SWD-MOR said:
    I certainly think it's a little odd to have a link in an email which when clicked sends a parcel with no further confirmation of the address/contents/bank details etc. 

Especially with something like hello fresh where you normally have the ability to choose the meals and delivery day. 
    That's if you take the OP at face value. I regularly use HelloFresh (as does my wife) and we rotate their offers between us (take them up on 50% off the next 2 orders, cancel after.... then reactivate when they send us a new offer).

You're mistaken if you genuinely think clicking the link in the email instantly reactivates your subscription. You are taken to a landing page that tells you details about the subscription and the offer, with pricing, plan details such as how many people, how many nights, etc and you then press another button to confirm and reactivate your subscription.
    As I said, I think would be a little odd for it to work as the OP described (given my own experience with the service) - but if they are giving us inaccurate information (intentionally or not) then the advice they receive will be less than helpful... so all in I tend to think it best to respond based on the information we have, with the OP having the opportunity to clarify/update us if the advice doesn't work as intended :) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,788
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ArbitraryRandom said:
    I tend to think it best to respond based on the information we have, with the OP having the opportunity to clarify/update us if the advice doesn't work as intended :) 
    I'll be honest, I find this is a really strange point of view..

If you are reasonably certain the OP's account is incorrect, it would be odd to consciously give incorrect advice. In this case, do we all advice the OP to slate HelloFresh on social media, harrass the CEO, trash them in scathing reviews, etc, despite being personally reasonably certain that HelloFresh has acted appropriately and the OP's account may be missing details? That doesn't sound right?

I agree with taking OP's at face value and not making assumptions in the absence of any other evidence/experience, but if there is reason to believe the OP may be incorrect (such as statements that something works differently to what was reported) then surely the right thing to do is to then offer them the correct advice?
    Know what you don't
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Forumite
    edited 8 November 2023 at 10:27AM
    Exodi said:
    ArbitraryRandom said:
    I tend to think it best to respond based on the information we have, with the OP having the opportunity to clarify/update us if the advice doesn't work as intended :) 
    I'll be honest, I find this is a really strange point of view..

If you are reasonably certain the OP's account is incorrect, it would be odd to consciously give incorrect advice. In this case, do we all advice the OP to slate HelloFresh on social media, harrass the CEO, trash them in scathing reviews, etc, despite being personally reasonably certain that HelloFresh has acted appropriately and the OP's account may be missing details? That doesn't sound right?

I agree with taking OP's at face value and not making assumptions in the absence of any other evidence/experience, but if there is reason to believe the OP may be incorrect (such as statements that something works differently to what was reported) then surely the right thing to do is to then offer them the correct advice?
    I'm not reasonably certain the account is incorrect - it's not how it's worked in my experience, and it would be an odd way for it to happen (worthy of complaint), but for all I know there was an IT glitch or the way it displayed on the OP's screen made it unclear what was happening. 

Slating a company on social media, harassing people associated with a company, and encouraging others to boycott/trash etc is never advice I would give or endorse, so that hyperbole is somewhat irrelevant ;) 

The OP wanted advice relating intercepting or cancelling/rejecting the parcel already dispatched - and would probably appreciate associated advice related to how to complain/get a refund if it was delivered in error. In that situation, the advice given will either work (which is good for the OP) or the OP will come back and say 'the company is saying xyz' - which will give us more information to give the correct advice (or the OP could just not come back, obviously). 

Not seeing a problem - plus it avoids the situation where the OP gets defensive because they think we're calling them a liar and they leave, people get banned by the forum team, and we never get the nice resolution to the situation. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback