Lay laminate floor on wood subfloor

Hi all!
I more curious about the load capacity of the wooden subfloor (mid terrace from ~1960). What I have measured with a 10mm thick laminate floor is, the load would be around 11 kg/m2 over the existing boards. In this example it is a double bedroom with a double bed and fitted wardrobe. After some research I found the safe load ~ 1,2kn/m2 = 120kg/m2.
Is it then alright to fit the laminated floor without issue and I just overthink it?

Many thanks.

Tom

Comments

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 957
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    m0t490 said:
    Hi all!
    I more curious about the load capacity of the wooden subfloor (mid terrace from ~1960). What I have measured with a 10mm thick laminate floor is, the load would be around 11 kg/m2 over the existing boards. In this example it is a double bedroom with a double bed and fitted wardrobe. After some research I found the safe load ~ 1,2kn/m2 = 120kg/m2.
    Is it then alright to fit the laminated floor without issue and I just overthink it?

Many thanks.

Tom
    Has it carpet fitted and underlay at the moment?
    If so the laminate is likely be lighter and more likely to spread the load more so than carpet.

• weeg
    weeg Posts: 1,048
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You are overthinking it. Allowable imposed loading was ~125kg.m2 back in the 1950s and early 60s. Plus whatever permanent loading was allowed for. Plus a factor of safety. 

Only if the floor felt very, very bouncy would there be a potential issue. And in that case laminate is probably the least of your issues.
  • pieroabcd
    pieroabcd Posts: 472
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2023 at 8:58PM
    When I replaced the carpets with engineered hardwood I was stunned at how extremely heavy the carpets+2 layers of underlay were (that I removed entirely).
    One of them was 1cm thick and the other maybe 5mm, but superdense.
    I calculated that my hardwood flooring was 8.5 kg/m2
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,567
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2023 at 10:53PM
    My daughter lives in a 100 year old house.  All the floors are done in either  laminate, Ceramic tiles, or LVT.......absolutely no problem.

Prior to her laying laminate, the rooms were carpeted.
  • m0t490
    m0t490 Posts: 5
    First Post
    Forumite
    Many thanks for the answers!
    Have 3 bedrooms and done with the smallest one. For underlay I used 2mm Foam which comes in role. No noise we can hear downstairs if someone above walking in that room. Also comfy to walk on it, no creak etc.

Is there danger of rot in the wood subfloor/joist as less air circulation because of that foam underlay? Should have used fibreboard underlay?

What I only found is that thin foam layer is OK to use in this scenario.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback