Attempted fraudulant payment after linking a card to eBay

I received a msg from NWide saying that they'd blocked a payment of £29.99 to SG*Original Plus.  The card was the one I linked to my eBay account a couple of days ago.  I didn't recognize the payee.

I Googled SG*Original Plus and saw that lots of people had had this happen to them.

I can't understand how SG*Original Plus got hold of my Credit Card details!  I got on to eBay on my desktop, not by clicking a link.

Does anyone know how this has happened please?

Comments

• Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,190
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    why do you think it happened via eBay as of course is may be the card details were obtained by the fraudster a different way completely unrelated to eBay
  • denisiw
    denisiw Posts: 68
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Olinda99 said:
    why do you think it happened via eBay as of course is may be the card details were obtained by the fraudster a different way completely unrelated to eBay

You're right, it's not eBay.  I reckon that I was spoofed while I was on eBay!

My eBay a/c is a different number.

I can't understand how it appeared and I didn't spot it!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,178
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you only use this card on ebay?  If not there is really no knowing how your card details were obtained.
    I assume that you've contacted Nationwide regarding this to see if they suggest issuing a new card.
  • denisiw
    denisiw Posts: 68
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    martindow said:
    Do you only use this card on ebay?  If not there is really no knowing how your card details were obtained.
    I assume that you've contacted Nationwide regarding this to see if they suggest issuing a new card.

I've never used this card and it's the first time that I've put details into anything.

I contacted NWide as soon as I'd Googled SG*Original Plus and seen the number of people that had been caught out by them.  I asked them to decline the payment and any future attempt to use it.  I've kept the card number but on second thoughts I'm going to ask NWide to replace it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback