Broadband failure - automatic compensation

Has anyone experience of how this works in practice? 

We have been without Internet at home for 2 weeks now due to a contractor cutting through a cable, we are expecting a minimum of 3 weeks from point of failure for it to be fixed. 

From what I understand automatic compensation starts from day 3, and will be applied to your bill. 

My bill is fixed and I pay by direct debit, so how does that work? Can I request this money is transferred to my bank account or will they just not claim the DD until my credit is exhausted? 

I'm with plusnet, the compensation equates to roughly 6 months of payments. The compensation probably doesn't cover costs due to additional commuting costs as I wfh and having to buy additional mobile data.

TY
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,260
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If the contractor wasn't working on behalf of plus net then there is no entitlement
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 2,946
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Plusnet have told us we are entitled to compensation on several occasions and in writing, though the Contractor was not working on behalf of plusnet. 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,213
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Going forward you should look at a broadband service that includes automatic 4G back-up 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback