Am I nuts to move electricity to British Gas?

2»

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BG warn that if you pay quarterly your first bill may be for 6 months !     😱
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 6 November 2023 at 7:12PM
    That actually made me laugh Gerry :D
    All of these companies that push to go online can't seem to support it.
    Think I should go for Que Sera, Sera and stop worrying.
    Having just read the links that gave me a 'really!' moment too. " they were able to concentrate on designing great customer experiences"............They've not been customer central since there were BG high street shops where a problem was presented to staff, appology and 'I'll sort it out for you' while said customer went for a coffee or shopping
    Now that was customer service :D   

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2023 at 8:20PM
    twopenny said:
    That actually made me laugh Gerry :D

BTW, I wasn't joking, it's true.
    (Click on 'What happens to my balance?')
    If you pay when you receive your bill

If your account is in credit when we move you over to our new system, we’ll send you a cheque for the amount we owe you.

If you’ve yet to pay your last bill when we move you over to our new system, or it wasn’t paid in full, we’ll transfer your outstanding balance to your new account and add it to your next bill. If you receive quarterly bills, please be aware this may mean you’ll be charged for up to 6 months of energy use on your next bill.

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,147 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    twopenny said:
    I find British Gas hard to deal with and had a couple of major problems with them but -
    They still do quaterly billing which suits me better.

I was also wondering if I could do Smart Meter install - just how good/bad are they at this?

I'm hoping to do SMeter + quaterly variable direct debit......this would be perfect if it worked.
    I will of course ring them but have had one conversation with them today and have to go out.

The reason I'm trying to achieve this is I live alone, no family and friends who I could trust in an emergency are now deceased.
    I'm concerned that should I fall ill there will be problems with someone to check and pay the bills.

I don't want monthly dd. This won't work for me.
    I either want quaterly variable or monthly variable. If monthly I definitely need a smart meter as I don't have a smart phone only laptop.

I'm freaking out a bit because of all the times I've heard that sm have been wrongly installed, don't work etc and I can't cope with extra hassle at the mo.

I'd be really grateful for your thoughts on the first part of this post .
    I've spent a ridiculous amount of time with broadband, gas and electric changing billing, getting it wrong or not informing me of changes. Frankly had enough!

The worst case scenario for a smart meter is it acts as a dumb meter, basically the same as what you are now, so no reason to freak out over it.  Plus if its not working as a smart meter as a new install you in a better position than those on old meters getting it fixed as its a new install.  I dont know how often this would happen, but I dont recall any stories of people having a new smart meter install and it doesnt work as one, just delays for the data to start been sent to the supplier.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If they don't correctly register the new meter, probably rare but happens, sending photos of the new meter without a smart phone will be more difficult.

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 7 November 2023 at 9:26AM
    Actually 6mts isn't so bad now I'm aware of it. 
    Time for some interest on my savings to come through and replace the money from the bathroom I waited 4yrs for. I didn't have one!
    So just the car,  dental work and fixing the heating to go. This is a build up from post pandemic when for me everything stopped for over 2yrs. 

Also good news Chrysalis. Thanks. Now I'm getting the hang of it.

Yes Markin. The broadband have been over charging. Still waiting on that of course. Trying to photograph documents wasn't great. If a refund and not credit it'll go in the heating fund.

But I have multiple neighbours who don't even use a computer (yes, the countryside can be a different world) so they manage somehow. The companies need to account for that.
    My troubles started when they stopped giving phone numbers for meter readings and I sent mine online. They grabbed my email and assumed I could be online all the time.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport