Chimney Stack Repair Quote

Options
Hello all!

Have been having some leaks in our property. Roofer came out to do a Quote and took some pictures showing cracks along the top of the chimney stack.

Has given us a quote of £850 to remove and recement the stack. The chimney stack is on the second floor, so it is relatively high up and on quite a steep incline. Does this quote seem fair? 

Any help or insight would be amazing 👏

Comments

• stripling
    Options
    rkwat said:
    Hello all!

Have been having some leaks in our property. Roofer came out to do a Quote and took some pictures showing cracks along the top of the chimney stack.

Has given us a quote of £850 to remove and recement the stack. The chimney stack is on the second floor, so it is relatively high up and on quite a steep incline. Does this quote seem fair? 

Any help or insight would be amazing 👏
    You need to get multiple quotes and then you'll have an idea. The big expense will be scaffolding usually.  

If I was you I would write a good short pitch for the work, add a photo or two and put it on My Builder.  That way you can get several quotes and get an idea of costs and then choose based on the reviews.  No one can review a job on My Builder who hasn't had the work done. Thus the reviews give you a good idea of the workmanship and the tradesperson. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    stripling said: No one can review a job on My Builder who hasn't had the work done. Thus the reviews give you a good idea of the workmanship and the tradesperson. 
    Back in the real world, it is very easy for a tradesman to collude with a third party, create a fake job, and then get glowing feedback. I also suspect that the more damning reviews get removed. Unfortunately, masses of excellent reviews is not an assurance that you will get a quality job done at a reasonable price.
    The good tradesmen don't need sites like My Builder - They have more than enough work coming in through personal recommendations.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • stripling
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    stripling said: No one can review a job on My Builder who hasn't had the work done. Thus the reviews give you a good idea of the workmanship and the tradesperson. 
    Back in the real world, it is very easy for a tradesman to collude with a third party, create a fake job, and then get glowing feedback. I also suspect that the more damning reviews get removed. Unfortunately, masses of excellent reviews is not an assurance that you will get a quality job done at a reasonable price.
    The good tradesmen don't need sites like My Builder - They have more than enough work coming in through personal recommendations.

No, it is not physically possible... And your reply is a 'classic' [😏] - I've used My Builder for numerous jobs - I'm a house owner obviously and I'm not stupid.  

This is not how My Builder works. Trades pay to use the site and pay a fee for every job. And reviews are managed by the site not by the trades. There's negative reviews under plenty who use it. The 'good tradesmen' line is actually ridiculous - plenty use My Builder precisely so clients can see recommendations, others use it when they first go freelance - once they are busy you can't hire them for love nor money. Personal recommendations are great but not everyone knows people, or only know one company etc.,

I had my roof repaired this year by a roofing company (retiling, roof vents, eaves support gutter trays) I found on My Builder, they were booked up for 2 months before they came to me, I have since found out they have been vetted by Age Concern for pensioners. The work they did was top notch and they included things (verge repairs) they didn't quote for at no extra cost.  

I've had fencing, soak aways, carpentry all done from My Builder trades. I've been happy with all of them. 
    Tomorrow, I have a My Builder carpet fitter coming and the company he works with offered to beat the quote for the carpet I had already sourced. 

So maybe don't assume things... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure