Best supplier at price cap?

LZC
LZC Posts: 16
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
I want to change gas and elec suppliers as when my previous suppliers went bust I got shifted to EDF. 

If my charges are all going to be at the price cap anyway I’d rather my money went to a different company. Hopefully someone greener and more customer friendly.

Before I moved and inherited Utility Point, I was with Bulb. They seemed relatively decent. Is there anyone like them still about?

I don’t have a smart meter (and don’t particularly want one). 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,551
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Likely Octopus and they are a couple of p cheaper on the SC.

• LZC said:

I don’t have a smart meter (and don’t particularly want one). 

Just on this point, any particular reason why?
    When your meter's certification period expires you will have to have it replaced, and that replacement will almost certainly be a smart meter.

The general consensus seems to be that Octopus is still the leading supplier for customer service and general ethic - and in terms of eco-consciousness, that's the reason for all their innovative tariffs and being part of the push to decarbonise the energy we use. 
    (If you want a fully green company then they are exempt from the price cap and accordingly more expensive.)

If you decide to switch to Octopus, make sure to find a referral code to get you and the referrer £50 credit each.  And if you decide to switch to a different company, check to see if they have a referral scheme as well.  
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,029
    Forumite
    I don’t have a smart meter either

ive been with Octopus since February and never had a single problem 
  • I agree with SpoonieTurtle - if you google for a 'green' energy company, you need to be aware that some of them will charge more than the cap because they're exempt. 

If you stick with someone like octopus then you're getting a supplier who is pro-green but not 100%, and you're also protected by the cap. 

If you decide to get a smart meter then you can access a wider range of tariffs which can mean you pay less, but they offer a small discount on the standing charge, so even without you'll save a little :) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,029
    Forumite
    I agree with SpoonieTurtle - if you google for a 'green' energy company, you need to be aware that some of them will charge more than the cap because they're exempt. 

If you stick with someone like octopus then you're getting a supplier who is pro-green but not 100%, and you're also protected by the cap. 

If you decide to get a smart meter then you can access a wider range of tariffs which can mean you pay less, but they offer a small discount on the standing charge, so even without you'll save a little :) 
    And if you do use the green energy companies who charge more 

You will be getting your energy from the same gas main and the same electric cables out in the footpath as your neighbours who are paying less. 
  • MikeJXE said:
    I agree with SpoonieTurtle - if you google for a 'green' energy company, you need to be aware that some of them will charge more than the cap because they're exempt. 

And if you do use the green energy companies who charge more 

You will be getting your energy from the same gas main and the same electric cables out in the footpath as your neighbours who are paying less. 
    Some people are happy to pay more to support green generation - and the few companies with derogations are those who have demonstrated to Ofgem's satisfaction that they actively and genuinely support the growth of green energy.

Just as long as people are fully aware that's the choice they're making :)  
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback