Private FB group question

I belong to a private fb group. (medical condition group). A couple of fellow members have suggested I start my own.  I'm quite happy to, however I'm unsure about one thing. Given that it would be private, no one would be, aware of it. Its not the done thing to advertise what might be seen as a rival group on the group I'm already in. Would it be a case of me sending a personal fb friend request out to as many as I feel would be interested, then assuming they said yes, I assume I'd invite them to my group.

Does that sound right?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,321
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2023 at 12:56PM
    I suppose it depends on the reason why you’re starting another group as opposed to staying in the one that’s already there?

i’m a member of a couple of a groups where the Admins have fallen out so one of them has stropped off to create a new group. In these circumstances, they just automatically added all the members of the old  group without asking anyone. Then individual members decided whether to stay or leave or remain members of both groups.
    So I guess it depends on whether you’re still on speaking terms with people or not?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 February at 5:48PM
    Copter said:

I belong to a private fb group. (medical condition group). A couple of fellow members have suggested I start my own.  I'm quite happy to, however I'm unsure about one thing. Given that it would be private, no one would be, aware of it. Its not the done thing to advertise what might be seen as a rival group on the group I'm already in. Would it be a case of me sending a personal fb friend request out to as many as I feel would be interested, then assuming they said yes, I assume I'd invite them to my group.

Does that sound right?

The definition of a Private Facebook group as opposed to a public one is documented here:

A private group doesn't mean only you and whoever else knows about it, all it means is that that what you post in it (and who's a member of it) is hidden.  If you change the visablity option to Private from the off but you won't be able to change it back to Public.
  • elsien said:
    I suppose it depends on the reason why you’re starting another group as opposed to staying in the one that’s already there?

i’m a member of a couple of a groups where the Admins have fallen out so one of them has stropped off to create a new group. In these circumstances, they just automatically added all the members of the old  group without asking anyone. Then individual members decided whether to stay or leave or remain members of both groups.
    So I guess it depends on whether you’re still on speaking terms with people or not?
    Hadn't thought of that, haven't fallen out nor am I Admin but coincidently I don't think they work in harmony. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Copter said:

Does that sound right?

The definition of a Private Facebook group as opposed to a public one is documented here:

A private group doesn't mean only you and whoever else knows about it, all it means is that that what you post in it (and who's a member of it) is hidden.  If you change the visablity option to Private from the off but you won't be able to change it back to Public.
    Yes Neil I know 
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 259
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

Does that sound right?

a public  facebook group  can be found by searching for the group, none members can read the content and may be able to post to the group 

a 'Private'  facebook group can be found by searching for the group name ,  what you can't do is see the content unless you are a member of the group  

a 'Secret'  facebook group is hidden  from the search results and is therefore only accessible if  someone is sent the link to it 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    EnPointe said:

Does that sound right?

a public  facebook group  can be found by searching for the group, none members can read the content and may be able to post to the group 

a 'Private'  facebook group can be found by searching for the group name ,  what you can't do is see the content unless you are a member of the group  

a 'Secret'  facebook group is hidden  from the search results and is therefore only accessible if  someone is sent the link to it 
    Yes, having been in each, they each have their merits, equally they can be a pain. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback