Damp on wall

2»

Comments

• Are your houses on a slope?  I had builder after builder in to see about source of damp on party wall  at base and they all failed - eventually it dawned on me when doing something else - next-door's semi-detached house is about 9 inches higher than mine because of the slope we are on - hence any water under his house tends to drain to my internal wall and the wallpaper is damp and the floorboards rot along that line.  Now all I have to do is to save up the vast sums to have it DPC treated and redecorated, and the floor done..... gulp!  Other than that, the suggestions above are very comprehensive... good luck, it is so hard to sort out.
  • pope
    pope Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have managed with some help got some photos.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    That damp patch seems to have a clearly defined edge to it at the top... Could we have a photo or two of the outside - Not a close-up, I'm interested in the relationship to the house next door.
    Has your neighbour also have any damp showing through on their side ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Take off the skirting and see if the plaster meets the floor. There should be a gap. In the 70's it was common to cut off the DPM flush with the wall, and not lap it into the DPC. This sometimes allowed damp to creep into the plaster if it touched the floor. Once the plaster gets wet, the wall gets a bit colder, and also hygroscopic salts might be brought to the surface which attracts condensation.
  • pope
    pope Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FreeBear said:
    That damp patch seems to have a clearly defined edge to it at the top... Could we have a photo or two of the outside - Not a close-up, I'm interested in the relationship to the house next door.
    Has your neighbour also have any damp showing through on their side ?
    No the neighbour does not any damp on there side.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback