FdSc /foundation degree funding

Hi,
My son is wanting to do a foundation degree then a top up year to BSc. The cost of the FdSc is 7200, then the top up would be 9k max. He plans to work alongside and pay fees off in installments without a student loan.
Why wouldn't everyone choose this route which is significantly cheaper way of getting a degree? Am I missing something?
I'm struggling as I'm sure it isn't that simple! Can anyone help?
Thank you :)

Comments

• DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 379
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A foundation year adds a year to achieving a bachelors degree, so certainly not lower cost, but can be a good idea for some.
    As per Martin Lewis articles, you should view student loan as a graduate tax.
    Working alongside a degree course will be hard and their grades and social life may suffer as a result.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,722
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Some confusion here between a foundation course, that is almost a year zero of a 3 or 4 year degree. Generally taken when grades or experience aren’t sufficient to start year 1 of a bachelor degree course, or where the student is unsure what they want to study eg a foundation engineering course will expose the student to many branches of engineering before they decide which branch to study for their degree.

then there is a foundation degree, which is two thirds of a full degree, normally takes 2 full time years of study. At the end of which a student may leave with the foundation degree or do the final (3rd) year to obtain the bachelor degree.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hulkgti
    hulkgti Posts: 56
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    silvercar said:
    Some confusion here between a foundation course, that is almost a year zero of a 3 or 4 year degree. Generally taken when grades or experience aren’t sufficient to start year 1 of a bachelor degree course, or where the student is unsure what they want to study eg a foundation engineering course will expose the student to many branches of engineering before they decide which branch to study for their degree.

then there is a foundation degree, which is two thirds of a full degree, normally takes 2 full time years of study. At the end of which a student may leave with the foundation degree or do the final (3rd) year to obtain the bachelor degree.
    Exactly this. It's not a foundation year he wants to do. It's the foundation degree, which sounds like a bargain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback