Car Audio player will only play tracks in a set order. How can I name them so it plays them in order

Hi all

i asked a similar question in another thread but didn’t get the answer I required because the problem lies with the car player and not the method of naming tracks. 

So, I am learning French language. I have a box set of 9 CD’s. My Audi car doesn’t accept CD’s. Therefore, using windows media player I rip each CD to my computer HDD. Each CD has 20 tracks and they are titled Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, —— Track 20. 
My car plays track 1 first but instead of playing track 2 next it plays Track 11, then 13, then 14. 
For some unknown reason it wants to play all the tracks starting with 1. So, if the cd had 100 tracks it would play in this order…
track 1, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, then track 2, 21, 22 etc…
notice how it wants to play all the 1’s first etc? 
I am aware of MP3 tag software to rename the files etc but that is irrelevant because the car just wants to play them its own way. There is no option on the car to change the play order other than shuffle. 
Any ideas what I can do guys? 

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,573
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Get a different car?  ;)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,642
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What about putting a letter of the alphabet in front so A1, B2,C3....K11
  • Trace-T
    Trace-T Posts: 44
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2023 at 8:10AM
    Or put a zero in front of the tracks 1-9.
    01 to 09 then it should continue from 10 onwards. 
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,186
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2023 at 8:22AM
    did you try the recommended solution of putting each CD in a separate folder?

I think this will work but if it doesn't then if you can't get the car player to do what you want maybe you could try playing it on for example your smartphone and plug the smartphone into the aux socket of your car system or Bluetooth if it supports it
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 521
    Forumite
    It's playing them in alphabetical order. So just set the filename options correctly when you rip the CD.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,023
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2023 at 6:04PM
    Trace-T said:
    Or put a zero in front of the tracks 1-9.
    01 to 09 then it should continue from 10 onwards. 
    This is what I had to do when I ripped some music cd's some time ago. 

Given the number of tracks involved (possibly over 100) you may have to number them from 001 and continue with 010 right up to 099.

• Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,186
    Forumite
    which was the exact advice they were given when they asked in their previous duplicate thread
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,141
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2023 at 10:17AM
    Olinda99 said:
    which was the exact advice they were given when they asked in their previous duplicate thread
    I dont know why the OP is starting a new thread. It's a bit discourteous to people who helped in the original thread.

The issue is that some car players are incredibly basic. They just play the tracks in the root folder in the order they were added to the directory listing.
     Regardless of name or metadata.

The only way to get them in the order you want is to format the storage device and copy the files in the order you want to listen to them . If you make a mistake then its start again.

Honestly, it's much easier to use the aux input and play the tracks from a phone or similar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback