Communal Energy Price Hike By E-on

Tim_C
Tim_C Posts: 12
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I write on behalf of five other residents who all live in an old Victorian House that was been converted into 5 flats back in the 1980's.

Our communal energy usage is minimal, a light upstairs, downstairs, in the porch, two motion sensor lights on the front of the building, five lights in the basement, power to the fire alarm system and one socket for a vacumn cleaner.

We are paying an average of £21.00 per month on the current plan with E-on.

We have just had a letter saying that the plan ends in January and we should pick from the following -

1 Year Fixed Business £236.30
2 Year Fixed Business £236.30

If we do nothing then we will roll onto the Flexible Business Tariff at £398.50.

In 2022 we used just over £112.00 per worth of communal electric.

In February 2023 the cost doubled and at this point in time we have used £186.00 worth.

The building is split into three owner occupied flats and two have been bought by people who rent them out.

Any advice anyone can give is welcomed.

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,333
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2023 at 5:36PM
    I'm not actually sure if you're saying your new quoted rate is £236 a year (which would actually be cheaper than you're currently paying) or a month... Would it be possible for you to share unit rates (they should be in the letter) rather than quoting £? And if you have the actual use in kWh (should also be on the letter somewhere I expect) that would also be grand.  

Though, if you are saying it's going to c.£200 per month, my first thought was to get rid of the 'business' meter and have a sub-meter run from one of the flats on a residential tariff - that flat could then recharge (at actual cost) the other flats for 1/5 of the use. 

Would cost maybe £1000? (part of which be paying a solicitor for a deed of covenant to prevent future disputes) but you'd make that back in a year plus residential contracts are protected by the price cap when businesses aren't. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback