Home for life lease - "partners" have failed to insure

Some years ago, we signed up and paid for a "Home for life" lease, paying £225,000 for a house valued at £275,000.  This via Homewise/Rightmove.  Soon after, "partners" were introduced, who promptly moved to Canada.  Each year, they write about insurance, which they buy, and I have to reimburse, whatever the cost (!)  Last year, the insurance companies queried the arrangement, and so the house we live in is not insured.  I am briefing a Solicitor to sort this out, but am concerned about costs (we are pensioners).  The Solicitor mentioned that you can get Legal Expenses Insurance (his charges are c £300 per hour) but I cannot find any appropriate insurance company.  Can anybody point me to an insurer who will indemnify me against expenses, if they escalate?   Many thanks.  


  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,029
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What are you expecting to escalate?

    Regular insurance can only be bought for events that have not yet happened excluding events that are already known likely to be happening in the future. If you instruct solicitors on a "no win, no fee" basis to act they can buy After The Event insurance which covers their costs if you don't win but you have to find a solicitor willing to take it on on this basis. 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,412
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think you an get insurance for this matter as it is already happening. Does the agreement you have for this purchase indicate that they have to insure the property? 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards