Unknown soft searches on account

Options
I got a notification from CreditKarma to tell me that a new soft search had appeared on my account. I just had a look, and it shows 6 soft searches: 2 from Aviva, 3 from LexisNexis and one from BISL Limited, all on the first of November. 

Now as far as I remember, I didn't apply for any insurance on that day, so I'm a bit worried about why these are appearing on my credit report. Why could these be showing up on my account? I've never even heard of BISL and LexisNexis.

What do I need to do with this, please? I'm a bit concerned about what this means exactly, worried someone is trying to scam me or something. :( 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you used comparison sites?
  • Saria
    Saria Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Have you used comparison sites?
    No, I don't remember using any recently. Would it be an automatic search maybe from being signed up to places like Moneysupermarket and Compare the Market?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    BISL is Budget, a very large personal lines broker but they also do a lot of white labelling so M&S Car Insurance is BISL under the branding. 

LexisNexis provide solutions to insurance companies such as ID checking

Looks like an insurance quotes have been done either by you proactively or by an aggregator in preparation for a renewal
  • Saria
    Saria Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BISL is Budget, a very large personal lines broker but they also do a lot of white labelling so M&S Car Insurance is BISL under the branding. 

LexisNexis provide solutions to insurance companies such as ID checking

Looks like an insurance quotes have been done either by you proactively or by an aggregator in preparation for a renewal
    Thank you! Our home insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month. I've just checked my Compare the Market account and it shows that they did a search on the 1st of November. So that must be it then. :) 

• Seasalt3
    Seasalt3 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
     My equifax report is showing a soft search made by Finders UK for a name that is similar first initials but not my surname but with my DOB and address.  It says its for a search for a beneficiary to a will?  Not sure if I should query with Equifax

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seasalt3 said:
     My equifax report is showing a soft search made by Finders UK for a name that is similar first initials but not my surname but with my DOB and address.  It says its for a search for a beneficiary to a will?  Not sure if I should query with Equifax

This might be better as a separate thread, but "Finders UK" does sound like the sort of name a company would have if their service was to trace beneficiaries from a Will, or from an intestate estate where beneficiaries have not been identified.
    Sort of like you see in the TV programme "Heir Hunters".
    I wonder if this was the company that you saw listed?
    https://www.findersinternational.co.uk/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure