Why do energy tariff details seem incorrect !

Desperate to get away from british gas. I was inherited like a naughty schoolboy when one of martins recommendations went bust .
They can't seem to get anything right - even with smart meters !
I send them readings and they don't appear - always estimated.
Checked Tulo, outfox, octopus etc - and their tariff detail seems more expensive than BG ? 
So why is the monthly cost shown as so low with others > is that Averaging ?
Only fox seemed to undercut BG with a daily charge.......am I missing something ?

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,680
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2023 at 2:21PM
    Each region is different. Articles will give the headline figure for the cap as an average. Tell us what region you live in.

In addition, fixed rates arent covered by the cap.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,812
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2023 at 2:24PM
    Desperate to get away from british gas. I was inherited like a naughty schoolboy when one of martins recommendations went bust .
    They can't seem to get anything right - even with smart meters !
    I send them readings and they don't appear - always estimated.
    Checked Tulo, outfox, octopus etc - and their tariff detail seems more expensive than BG ? 
    So why is the monthly cost shown as so low with others > is that Averaging ?
    Only fox seemed to undercut BG with a daily charge.......am I missing something ?
    The main way to get a cheaper tariff can be where you live but also if you get a smart meter (that works and can send 30 minute readings) then see if you are better off with a time of use tariff with someone like Octopus. 

You will see some helpful long threads about Octopus Tracker and Octopus Agile in this very part of the forum
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Southwest area. Smartmeters fitted, but patchy it seems to some who can't or won't read them !......
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,691
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2023 at 2:39PM
    You need to check you are comparing like with like.

Default standard variable largely follow Ofgem cap - apart from AFAIK - Octopus who used to give around 2 % per fuel of of standing charges. (comparing to EDF - looks like they still do)

Default SVT tariffs for some of the others now very much in the big 6 can be found at

EDF

EOn Next
    Enter postcode at

Octopus

There are a multitude of other special rates - as well as a mix of traditional fixes, a fix with pass through charges (SP?)  and even an Ofgem cap tracker (EOnNext) - including discounts for those on some benefits at EOn - 25% - and those on benefits and in debt etc (50%)

Check your deal - post your rates.

And check your not comparing an old bill - pre Oct rate changes at BG - with current rates elsewhere - but you are sayig others are now more expensive - so maybe not.

I though many if not all who passed over on SoLR - simply went SVT default - but I may easily be wrong - as didn't go through it myself.

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,915
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Remember also if shifting to Octopus to ask around family or friends for someone's referral code - that gains you and the referrer £50 bill credit each. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,680
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh and comparing the monthly direct debit ask is pointless. Compare the unit rates.
  • Thanks all - more digging needed.
  • All seem more ,,,,,-
    BG showing post 1 oct -
    25.89 and 55.9dc electric
    6.75 and 28.2dc  gas

apart from outfox on dc - will they fold in a few months time as well ? !!
  • Fox Standard Dual. Tariff type: Dual Fuel Only - Variable. Payment method: Direct Debit. Electricity unit rate: 26.369p per kWh. Electricity standing charge: 58.279p per day. Gas unit rate: 7.327p per kWh. Gas standing charge: 14.805p per day
  • Are you comparing pre-VAT rates on your bill with VAT-inclusive rates everywhere else?  (5% VAT for energy)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback