Roof Valley Repair Price Reasonable?

Options
Just wondering if this price was reasonable.
There was a leak from the roof into loft and bedroom below.
Man came and looked at the ceiling where the water was dripping down, and went into the loft to have a look where the leak was coming from.
Went outside and went up with a ladder to the roof ridge (2 storey house).
Climbed onto the roof and cleared the moss off the roof ridge, identified about 6 roof ridge blocks that had little cracks in, and filled in the cracks with silicone sealant.
Said it should hopefully be OK now but if not would have to have the roof valley replaced.
Problem was the moss holding water there, then the water coming in through the cracks.

He charged me £100.
Was this a reasonable price? Just interested as I have not had a roof repaired before.

Comments

• J2637
    J2637 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Total time of visit was 45 minutes
  • PRDMKT
    PRDMKT Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps a little on the expensive side, but seems fair. Often the first hour is more expensive as it includes a call-out charge.
  • J2637
    First Post
    Options
    That's good to know it's reasonably fair. He did come quickly, as I called him lunchtime yesterday and he came lunchtime today.
  • fimacdoodle
    Options
    Not sure about using silicone - but similar job done at my elderly fathers. dodgy roofers wanted £250. I beat them down to £150 to get rid of them. I checked what they did after they did it - they hadn't done it properly so I sent them back up the ladder to do it again. so sad we cant trust a trady any more.........
  • J2637
    First Post
    Options
    Good for you. Did you get them to re-do it properly with silicone again?

• J2637
    First Post
    Options
    Interesting they wanted £150 (once beaten down), was that in London or not?  Mine is not in London.
    I wonder if roofers are more likely to over quote compared to other trades ...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback