Redundancy & Child Maintenance

Options
Hi, I'm due to be made redundant this month after 13 years service. Having googled the thread title I'm not really any further forward as per my liability if any? Does the tax free amount count or is it separate? Do I keep paying the same amount until I find new employment and then recalculate what I'm due. I don't want to not contribute for my child but I also need to remortgage (50% increase in monthly payment) whilst potentially out of work so feels like there is a lot going on. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• tightauldgit
    Options
    1. Redundancy payments do not count as income for the purposes of calculating child maintenance so it should be ignored (although of course you will have the money so you should factor that in to whether you can afford to contribute more than you might otherwise need to)

2. If you are out of work you should advise CMS (assuming they are handling the case) of your change in circumstances and provide evidence. They SHOULD recalculate your contribution based on the new data although I always find CMS is a bit hit and miss on that front. Once you have new employment you should advise them again and make payments based on that. 

3. If you are not going via CMS then it's possibly a bit more complicated and will be determined by whatever the agreement or court order says. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback