Cold call for reclaiming tax on PPI claim - legit or scam?

Just had a cold call from someone "on behalf of hmrc" or something like that (should have asked again later), talking about a PPI claim from a few years ago and saying they'd get me back the tax charged on the claim. They seemed to have all the details of the claim and say they were passed the details from the firm I used at the time. 

I got to the point where they wanted my national insurance no and asked them to call back later. 

Reckon it's legit?

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,709
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 November 2023 at 1:10PM
  • Just had a cold call from someone "on behalf of hmrc" or something like that (should have asked again later), talking about a PPI claim from a few years ago and saying they'd get me back the tax charged on the claim. They seemed to have all the details of the claim and say they were passed the details from the firm I used at the time. 

I got to the point where they wanted my national insurance no and asked them to call back later. 

Reckon it's legit?
    Even it's legit why would you pay someone else to do it?

Did they ask if you completed a Self Assessment return for the tax year the taxed interest was received in?  That is quite an important factor.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,364
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd say any cold call is a scam.  And we get lots at Chez Brie where they seem to know all sorts about me and the OH.  I've no idea where they get this info as very little of it is public. 

And no one from HMRC will ring you out of the blue.  They will send you a letter.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback