Building Insurance Help!

Hi All, I am trying to get quotes for building insurance but since my property is empty as having building works which has gone wrong so taking longer than expected. The property will therefore be empty for a few months more than 60 days the insurance is asking. Does that mean no one will insure me? Anyone been in similar situation? I mean I will have builders in but work will need to be done a slower pace due to finances. Any advice would be appreciated?


  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You need to speak to a broker, there are specialist policies for those having structural work or long term vacant properties. 

    Make sure you are clear on what the policy requires you to do based on the duration of vacancy, some require you to take more steps the longer it goes unoccupied (eg turn off water and drain down systems, block the letterbox etc). For some the daytime presence of the builders may mean it's not considered unoccupied but others it still will. 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards