Possible scam - advice sought

Hi, I started selling on Facebook Market place last week. My first itsem brough a response saying they wanted to send a postman to my home with cash and so could they have my details. I supplied my name , address, postcode and email…..but later I had the same message from a number of others and realise it was information hunting and the next step (after Googling) was to ask for my credit care details. I did NOT supply the latter . But one scammer has the said details. What could they possibly do with them?

Comments

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 610
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If they have your credit card details along with name/address details then they're likely to start making charges against it - report it as compromised and get a new one

If they 'only' have your name/address details then probably not much - apart from adding you to a list of future potentials for the same scam
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think some scammers also ask you to pay the "courier" for insurance for the item, saying that they will refund you later
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Keep an eye on your credit report for any new debts - mobile contracts - that aren't yours.  I believe you can get CIFAS to protect your details from any new credit searches, it might be worth doing this.
  • Thank you for the replies……where is the best place tio find my credit reports…..? Is there a fee?

• prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 643
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 November 2023 at 3:38PM
    Thank you for the replies……where is the best place tio find my credit reports…..? Is there a fee?

Here you go,  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report/
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Almost got sucked into this same scam a while back, thankfully I realised what was going on by the end. They are just phishing for your details, keep an eye on your statements etc and maybe change your important passwords to be safe
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback