Hypothetical question: Disabled Facilities Grant - What happens if a person passes away mid work

Options
Hello. 

I hope it's okay to ask this hypotetical question here.

It's a question I've wondered about for many years and a friend was almost in this situation earlier this year. We were talking about it earlier and wondered what would be the result if the following were to happen. 

Last year my friends mother had a fall and broke her hip. She was taken into hospital and recived treatment. While she was in there they discovered she had cancer and she was given two years to live. The hip operation was a partial success but her mobility was greatly decreased. 

She came home and was given a grant by the council to upgrade their bathroom to a wet room. As the bathroom was upstairs and weren't able to put in a stairlift due to the positioning of the stairs, they decided it would be best to knock down an outter wall of an extension and extend it further to fit a wet room. 5 days before work was set to begin his mother became very ill and passed away.

This is my question:
If they had started work and were half way through the conversion when she had passed away would they have continued to carry out the work or would they have just down tools and left the house in that state? 

it may seem a slightly facetious question but it isn't meant in that way. It is honestly question which i have been curious about for years. 

Comments

• M25
    M25 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As there would be contracted work that would need to be finished ie the work would be completed for the main part of the work.

I'm sure in very rare cases if the local authority were informed they would look at the level of finish (ie if there were £1000s of disabilty fixtures and later fittings) and maybe decide to make good all work and leave it in a finished state as a useable room and complete any building warrant requirements.

Common sense.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure