We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

44 and dreading the thought of working past 50

12346»

Comments

  • 6022tivo said:
    Yes university was expensive for me as a parent, estimated cost around 40 to 50k to put 2 through uni
    How?? 
    They have student loans etc. Didn't cost me a penny.. 
    You are lucky! Some of the tuition loans will have to be paid back depending on income if you studied in England and that's on the student. Living expenses will also have to be paid and I can easily see that being 10k/year/student. Some students might get some grant money, or work to cover their expenses or borrow money that will have to be paid back and some will get help from their parents. 
    And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
  • As others and I have previously mentioned, the loan does not cover the full cost. My kids received the minimum, which was/is around 4.5k per year. Accommodation alone costs 7k to 7.5k a year
    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • cobson
    cobson Posts: 163 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Pension payments are detuctable from your income when calculating student loan amounts, so you can time these payments to be larger during these years to increase the allowable amount. Thats assuming they don't mind having the debt....
  • cobson said:
    Pension payments are detuctable from your income when calculating student loan amounts, so you can time these payments to be larger during these years to increase the allowable amount. Thats assuming they don't mind having the debt....
    The threshold for household income is around 65k so unfortunately that didn't help me
    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • As previously said, their courses involved being in Uni everyday with loads of extra reading expected too. Also, had placement years so absolutely no way they could work at the same time. Maintenance loan did not even cover the cost of accommodation. Without support they would have had to stay at home and so limiting their choices. I’d rather see them utilise their inheritance now rather than not see it later
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,603 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I think we are straying away from the OP's original post.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl said:
    I think we are straying away from the OP's original post.
    Yep it is a bit! 
  • Gary1984 said:
    Do you contract through your own limited co or an umbrella? Are you making SIPP contributions in the most tax efficient way? Either employer contributions from your ltd co or salary sacrifice through your umbrella.
    This is something I really need to look more into. I used to do it through my own Ltd Co. However for the last couple years I'm getting a gross rate into my personal account, as working out of the uk. But I'm liable for uk tax. My local country tax is paid by my employer but as a company deduction not a personal contribution... difficult to explain but basically I'm liable for the full uk tax on earnings. Meaning I'm in higher tax bracket for a good chunk. However I still need to clarify what impact on the tax liability will a personal pension contribution have..... if any. And if none what benefit it will be for me to pay into... the sipp is something I feel I'm not utilising at all  
    I'm not sure I understand that fully - but there is lots of tax planning you can do if you're able to direct money through your Limited company e.g. you can pay your wife a salary (for doing the admin) which will use her tax free band without incurring national insurance (with the bonus that this also counts towards her pension contribution years).

    In addition, you have the option of paying yourself (and your wife if she is a shareholder), dividends rather than salary which is quite tax efficient.

    Finally the company can pay contributions to your pension scheme, giving you a coproration tax deduction on the contributions.

    While you need to be careful to avoid the scrutiny of HMRC, all of those measures are completely legitimate.

    The only thing to be aware of is your potential to have to register for VAT.
    I used to be Marine_life .....but I can't connect to my old account
  • Kim1965
    Kim1965 Posts: 550 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    As others and I have previously mentioned, the loan does not cover the full cost. My kids received the minimum, which was/is around 4.5k per year. Accommodation alone costs 7k to 7.5k a year
    As others and I have previously mentioned, the loan does not cover the full cost. My kids received the minimum, which was/is around 4.5k per year. Accommodation alone costs 7k to 7.5k a year
    Plus you still have to clothe them, run cars etc it was crippling. Mine are both through now thanhfully. 
  • Fast forward 3 years and thought id update this,,, just turned 47 now, and a firm/ doable target of 50 to retire. ive taken onboard advice from here, done a lot of reading and learning, saving and investing and i feel im on target.. my numbers at age 50 will look something like,

    mortgage free.

    cash to bridge age 50 to 58 is a 450k pot, released from downsize, which will be invested in a easy access account, quite possibly split into a cash savings account and gia, and annually transfered to isas as drawdown continues and new tax years allow, during this period i also plan to contribute further to my sipp, this will just be the basic contribution of 2770 x2 annually to get the government top up, i will do this for both myself and wife,, come age 58 when i can access my sipp, im on track (Assuming a modest 4% annual return ) to have a combined SIPP pot circa 500k to 550k, in addition id guess circa 360k to 400k ISAs which will be spread circa 120k cash and 180k s&s, cash GIAs and premium bonds id assume to be circa 100k to 150k by then, state pension im assuming combined 20k pa, (i dont have full allowance due to me contracting out of the uk for periods)

    im basing my spending to be fixed at 4k per month through till 85, and rather than reduce im assuming the same but not applying inflation (i feel ive half accounted for this with the modest 4% return on investments.) anyway thats my thoughts… any critique welcome.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.